Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 586

    Day 587: The Acropolis

    September 24, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    The Acropolis is a world heritage site. Of course it is! Though it actually only got added in the late 1980s, fairly late for what's generally considered a wonder of the world! Since it isn't a huge site, we decided to head there in the afternoon instead; apparently it's most crowded in the morning since tour groups generally head there first and somewhere else afterwards.

    So we stayed in and did various work bits until around 2pm when we wandered over; only a 10 minute walk which was nice! Was great to see the famous buildings up close, particularly the Parthenon since you've seen it so many times before. I'd never quite realised that the Acropolis was actually a walled citadel, it sits up above the city and served as a large castle. It's current state is actually unusual as well - historically it was filled up with buildings from later eras, and the Classical Greek-era only look is quite modern - from the 20th century really.

    Anyway we finished up the video, had a good look at the city from the Balcony nearby, then headed back home. Just snacks for dinner this time as we'd had a late lunch!
    Read more