Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 589

    Day 590: Mycenae

    September 27, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    Today was one that I'd really been looking forward to - visiting the ancient city of Mycenae. I remember studying their civilisation in high school many years ago, so it was great to finally make it here.

    They were probably the largest and most important of the Greek city-states prior to the rise of Athens around 500BC, so much of what we saw today dated from 1000 BC and earlier. The city itself, Mycenae, is a citadel located on a hill, with large walls and plenty of buildings inside. Highlight was definitely the Lion Gate, a huge relief carving of two rampant lions above the main gate of the city - the oldest known monumental relief in Europe!

    We spent a few hours here; even though we'd arrived early it kept on filling up with pensioners on bus tours, and around lunch time we retreated. Found a bakery and grabbed some spinach pies, then headed for the ruined city of Tiryns which is also part of the world heritage site. Although it was just as important as Mycenae and almost as well preserved - there was nobody here. Just us, a couple of workers and some stray dogs. Nice spot!

    Back to Mykinis where we cooked pasta for dinner. Moving on tomorrow!
    Read more