Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Across to California

    October 29, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Up at 5am, dropped off the car and headed to the airport. Checked in with no dramas, and our flight was on time. All good. Flew cross-country with Alaska which are actually a proper airline, so we had reasonable seats and an actual meal! Schnitzel behaved himself this time except for one time when a little girl ran down the aisle and he barked at her. We were also the luckiest people on the plane! It was a full flight so we had a person next to us, but as soon as the seatbelt sign went off she spoke to a stewardess and moved up to first class, meaning we had a spare seat! Score.

    Landed in California where it was thankfully much warmer than the north-east. Picked up our car for the next six weeks and hit the freeway. First stop was lunch at In-N-Out Burger which I'd rank below Five Guys but above Shake Shack. A couple more hours of freeway driving across LA and out into the desert where we arrived at Palm Springs. This is basically a retirement city for California's gay population, though we only worked that out after retiring.

    Quite a pleasant town and we had a nice meal on the main street in the evening air. Though I ordered the "appetiser" size of nachos which turned out to be a baking tray sized serve, about two inches high. I spent the next couple of days digesting it.
    Read more