Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Arriving in Colombo

    January 15, 2019 in Sri Lanka ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Fairly typical flight out of Sydney and not a whole lot to report. The terminal was extremely crowded with lots of groups heading for WORLD YOUTH DAY in Panama. Our flight was fairly full, even in the Quiet Zone, and our usual trick of booking window + aisle seats and having a spare between us didn't work out, sadly.

    Arrived in KL on time and killed a few hours having a snack and sitting around on laptops. It's funny how despite being a reasonably-modern airport, there's hardly any power points anywhere. Crossed the airport to where our gate was located and found our flight with no dramas. This time I had a spare seat next to me, but Shandos was sitting on the other side of the plane - the system had allocated tickets nowhere near each other, and then demanded $10 to sit together!

    Didn't see much on the flight in since it was dark, but we were quickly off the plane and through the terminal. No problems at immigration which was a relief since I'd realised I put the wrong passport number on my application (I had two numbers transposed). Had sent a message asking to change it and never heard back, so I was worried I'd have to pay another $50 USD for a visa on arrival, but it never eventuated.

    Got some cash from the ATM, a pair of SIM cards, met our driver and headed into Colombo. It's normally an hour drive but took us about 25 minutes thanks to no traffic late at night. Streets deserted around the hotel.

    Our room is pretty crap, but we're leaving first thing in the morning so it's not a big deal.
    Read more