Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    Train to Jakarta

    July 28, 2019 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    Time to depart Semarang! Our train was at 11am, so we had a leisurely breakfast in the hotel before getting a Grab to the station. The train turned up on time and we hopped aboard. Annoyingly, we didn't have two seats next to each other - just on the same row but either side of the aisle.

    In the end it didn't really matter anyway, as after an hour or so I wandered down to the dining car with my laptop and spent the next few hours sitting at a table and doing video work. The scenery isn't super interesting - mostly just rice fields - and we've gotten a long distance train across Java before.

    Arrived in Jakarta on time at about 5pm. The station wifi wasn't working and I couldn't find any other free ones, so I ended up going into a co-working space which was oddly enough at the station and asking nicely to use their wifi for a Grab. They happily obliged and after a few false starts, managed to get a driver and head for our hotel.

    The hotel isn't much, really more of a large guesthouse, but it seems clean enough. Last hotel for the trip! It's located in a sort of Chinatown area, where most of the nearby restaurants are Chinese and the locals seems to have Chinese blood too. Most women aren't wearing hijabs and so on. Went to a dumpling place around the corner from the hotel where we loaded up for dinner, though the price was a bit higher than we expected - 60,000 rupiah for a plate of 10!
    Read more