Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    So close… so why not?

    March 1, 2022 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 73 °F

    If you’ve been following our other trip, you’ve seen our Baja California overlanding adventures from North to South. (Well, you’ve mostly seen our friend Derick’s adventures, but we’re usually there too. 🙂)

    We spent 6 days at a lovely condo just outside San José del Cabo watching cow & calf whales play, checking out the art district in SJdC, and generally loving life. A bit over our budget but we’d built up a surplus with the camping and more affordable accommodations along the way. 😉

    Donny happened to see that it’s only a 2+ hour flight from Cabo to México City and with prices just under $200 each round trip, we were sold!

    Dropped off the pickup truck at a storage place near the airport recommended by friend (for an extra $10, they’ll detail the whole thing!). Breezed through security for domestic flights and managed to hit the VIP lounge for one drink and a small breakfast sammich before boarding our VivoAerobus flight. (Thanks to Priority Pass via AmEx!)

    Very efficient (and polite!) boarding, onboard service, and especially deplaning. Everyone stays seated until their block of 3 rows is up next. And then calmly stands, gets their baggage and deplanes. Basically the polar opposite of flying pretty much anywhere else we’ve been.

    I only got us lost in the airport once trying to find the Metro station exit (note that the Metrobus and Metro logos are muy similar) and then this wonderful young gentleman tried to help us get a metro cards before he just paid for us to go thru the turnstile in his card. So nice!

    The metro here does NOT mess around! You better be ready to get on/get off or those doors are gonna get you, and no warning if frequent stops and starts between stations so hold on! A 30-min+ ride later (~25 cents each!), we emerged into Ciudad de México’s Centro Histórico.

    And the adventure begins…
    Read more