Puerto Vallarta

Discover travel destinations of travelers writing a travel journal on FindPenguins.

42 travelers at this place

  • Day47

    3 nights in Puerto Vallarta

    January 26, 2020 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Since our short trip to San Blas, we just hung out for 5 days and did beachy things with Pat and Gail, and apartment neighbours, Van and Lola, in Chacala. They are from Bellingham also and Lola has been busy getting things ready for the ukulele workshops. Gail will be running jam sessions during the workshops and Pat will be a gopher. So lots of excitement as everyone around us prepares to do their part. James Hill, the ukulele guru from Nova Scotia, arrived with his family and is staying with his mother-in-law, Dorothy. Chacala is small, so communication is pretty good.

    On Sunday, after a significant Saturday rainstorm, all of us packed up and got ready for the next segments of our trip. It’s always a little sad to say goodbye but we know we will meet up sometime in the future. We just don’t where! It has been a fun 3 weeks with our old friends.

    Pat and Gail moved into a hotel for a week and we got a bus to Vallarta. It was an extremely easy 2 hour trip to the bus terminal near the airport. We paid a taxi driver 200 pesos to take us right to our hotel, Hotel Eloisha, in the Old Town. Quick and easy!

    I picked the hotel because it is in an interesting part of town, was a reasonable price, and at the far end of the malecon. There is a park directly across the road and the hotel has a rooftop patio and small swimming pool with a good view of the ocean. A light breakfast is served in the mornings.

    We arrived before check-in time and we were offered available rooms. We actually chose an indoor room that ended up having a bit of a septic smell, so after the first night, they moved us to a room overlooking the park with a nice sunny balcony. We enjoyed watching the activities in the park. The huge patio on the rooftop was a great place to hangout and the pool was just right.

    Walking on the malecon was a daily treat. One day, we stood and watched a big pod of whales spouting and causing waves. Another day, we watched a very tanned man stack large and small rocks, one on top of another. Quite the balancing act. There are lots of wonderful restaurants so one night we took a break from tacos and pozole and had a pasta dinner in an Italian restaurant with wonderful service and excellent food. I think it was called Dolce Vita. Another afternoon, we ate two Mexican favourites of ours - a guacamole and Molcajete - at a nearby place called Margaritaville.

    We had a final laundry run before packing up and I got my hair cut. Mexican prices and service are the best!!! Our boarding passes for Our flight to L.A. were printed off in a nearby cyber cafe and we bought some didactic games for our grandkids at the Book Fair that was going on.

    We loved the convenience of everything. We will miss Mexico...
    Read more

  • Day15

    Puerto Vallarta

    March 8, 2020 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Arrived here with an all clear an hour early at 9 am. Met Carl Wiebe at Sbux at the new mall. Vic says the mall is not new and was here already 10 years ago. He is right. Took a cab to the Malecon and walked to the Ocean Bar. Margaritas for $2. Can’t beat that!Read more

  • Day49

    Mosaic Project in Lazaro Cardenas Park

    January 28, 2020 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Right across the street from the Eloisha Hotel,there is a very active community park. The day that we arrived, there was a Ceviche Festival. Every morning, a large group of people have a Zumba class at 8 a.m. Folk dancers perform in the evening and musicians play. We were very impressed by an interesting and beautiful mosaic project that is ongoing. All the concrete park benches and pillars and walls are being covered with colourful mosaics - a huge project that volunteers are encouraged to take part in.

    Have a look at some of the many benches already completed.
    Read more

  • Day2

    Lazy day

    December 28, 2019 in Mexico ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    (Apparently I only took pictures of food and drinks today)

    Fairly lazy day today. We slept hard (me especially being the one who can't sleep on planes). All the same, Caty woke up around 6, and had to suffer until 7 for breakfast.

    After breakfast, Laura and I hit the gym for an hour while Caty read and watched movies, before spending some time at the pool.

    Once the sun came out in earnest, we took a taxi down to the Malecón (boardwalk) to walk around and get lunch. Caty was starving by this point (and the grumpies had settled in), but we powered on and meandered towards Layla's, which opened right as we arrived. It took a while before we had food in front of us, but it was well worth the wait. Laura had fish (which will be a constant on this trip), Caty had a hamburger, and I had spicy spicy chicken (spicy will also be a constant for me). I also had a surprisingly good Mexican craft beer -- very unexpected.

    After lunch we continued waking the boardwalk until Caty hit the point of exhaustion, and taxied back up the mountain to the hotel for a nap and more time at the pool/hot tub.

    For dinner we went back into town and had grilled meats and cocktails. We had shrimp wrapped in spiiiiicy peppers and a dish of Ceviche appetizers. Matching our experiences thus far, a meal out was a multi hour affair, so by the time we were done Caty was ready for bed, and we went straight back to the hotel, after a brief stop to pick up sunscreen for tomorrow.
    Read more

  • Day72

    Puerto Vallarta

    March 21, 2019 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    3 Tacos für 35 pesos (1,62 Euro), ach Mexiko ❤️schön dass ich noch eine Weile in diesem wundervollen Land bin. Heute Abend geht's nach Los Cabos, wo ich meine Freundin Martha, die in Mexico Stadt wohnt treffe. Die kommenden 10 Tage werden wir an der wunderschönen Baja California verbringen!Read more

  • Day12


    January 10, 2019 in Mexico ⋅ 🌧 23 °C

    We’ve been at sea for 2 days travelling south along the coast of Mexico at a speed of 37 km/h. The temperature gradually increased from 15 to 23 degrees in the sunshine. The ocean has been fairly calm. We’ve explored the ship and finally got our bearings. Meals have been good and we are both watching our caloric intake, one with more success than the other. We purchased 5 bottles of wine at Costco in San Diego and were charged $18 corkage fee each for 3 of the bottles as we were allowed 2 free in our stateroom. This seems expensive but one of the bottles that we paid $11 for was on the menu for $46! Each day we’ve been doing 3 laps around the ship equaling one mile plus doing several flights of stairs, not to mention the steps from aft to bow. Four days ago I came down with a cold, which seems to be my travel norm these days sadly. In order to prevent a repeat experience with rib fractures, I’ve been taking ample Robitussin-DM shooters which made my brain foggy. I am on the mend now which pleases me immensely as I was a bit anxious about being out in the middle of the ocean with a respiratory emergency like in Portugal!

    JS is half-way through his 2nd book and I’ve been enjoying the American Test Kitchen presentations. A professional chef from the TV show prepares the meal, shares the recipes, and gives a lot of general cooking tips. Their show is based on the science of cooking. We have been going to most of the evening entertainment shows and saw the movie, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, the story about Freddy Mercury and Queen. Excellent movie that everyone should see.

    Here’s my most exciting experience so far. Yesterday I was given a free bingo card so I went to try my luck. A couple in front of me had to leave early for a massage appointment and handed me their 5 cards on their way out. I yelled after them for their cabin # just in case they won and jotted it down. With a Texan drawl he told me, “You can buy me a drink if you win”. Five minutes later I yelled “BINGO!” on his card and won $150! I left a note on their door, which happened to be 2 doors down from us, telling them to come and collect their winnings. He was shocked, initially thinking it was a joke, and felt that the money was mine to keep because I didn’t even have to tell them that I had won. I felt it was the honest thing to do as he had paid for the bingo card. He gave me $80, which I thanked him for his generosity, and he kept $70 somewhat reluctantly. We were both happy!
    Read more

  • Day19

    Penthouse (es het brännt)

    April 27, 2019 in Mexico ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    Sit bald ere Wuche simmer in Puerto Vallarta. Hemmer vill gmacht? Nö.
    Trotzdem paar chlini Impressions:
    De tagesverlauf isch meistens glich - Zmorge Pool Pool Pool Znacht Chille Schlafe. Dezwüsched sind de Lazaro und Ich (Alain) immer mal wieder go Billiard spille 12:2 für de Alain staht. Nachdem de Lazaro scho im Gokart gege mich verlore het vertreit er die wiiteri niederlag ned so guet.
    Am Abig het jede eis menu defe ussueche Wo den die person mit mir (den musi ebe ned abwesche) kocht het. Carbonara, Gratin, Burger, Cousus und hüt no Paella. So sparemer gad no chli Geld. Hend gester müsse Putzfrau cholah wels mer de Teil mitem Suber ned so begriffe hend. Gester und vorgester sind zersch Nevia uf Costa Rica und de Flavio wieder heii gange. Jetzt sind nurno mir Foif Anna, Lazaro, Moira, Juli und ich. Am abig hemmer no es auto für Cancun gmieted und die erschte 6 nächt buecht. De rescht machemer spontan. Am gliche Abig hets eh Pokerrundi under de Jungs geh. Plötzlich füllt en ohrebetäubende Larm de Ruum. De Füüralarm gaht los. Instinktiv simmer grad Handy und pass go hole und direkt us de Wohig is stegge huus. Dt Fraue sind zu dem Ziitpunkt am Billiard spille gsi im erdgschoss. Im oberste stock dtsie (25te) Isch zum erste mal doch nem so geil. Im 10 stock eppe hemmer es alts päärli, wo sho im pijama gsi isch, troffe, wo gseit het es chönt en falsche alarm sii. Trotzdem hemmer wele sicher gah. Und go nahfrege bi de securitys. Doch wehrend em wiitere abstiig hemmer uf eimal en verbrennte gruch ide nase gha. Je tüfer mer gange sind desto stärcher ischer worde. Ersh nachem 3 stock ischs den wieder weg gsi. Ganz une sind secutirys usem lift cho (gschiid im brandfall oder) wo gseit hend epper heggi esse verbrennt. Hahaha. Und Dt fraue hend wehrend dem ganze friendlich witer billiard gspillt. So
    Dt Anna isch safe und hüt gemmer de neuscht Avengers go luege wo alli ussert de Julian wo dihei bliibt, druf gwarted hend.
    Read more

  • Day39

    Puerto Vallarta

    November 30, 2019 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Der heutige Tag war mit einem Bootsausflug, Schnorcheln, Strand, Essen und Trinken geplant. Dazu sollten wir bis 12 Uhr am Hafen sein, um mit dem Boot zu starten. Relativ pünktlich starteten wir von unserem Hotel zur Busstation, um dann mit den öffentlichen Verkehrsmitteln zum Hafen zu gelangen. Leider kam unser Bus jedoch nicht und so langsam wurde die Zeit, um pünktlich am Hafen anzukommen sehr sehr knapp. Dank der Überredungskünste der Tutoren wartete das Boot auf uns, bevor es ablegte. Zum Nachteil aller schon eingetroffenen Mitreisenden. Nachdem der Bus endlich an der Station eingetroffen war fuhren wir ohne weitere Probleme zum Hafen und trafen insgesamt 30Minuten später als geplant dort ein. Als kleine Strafe mussten wir jeder noch eine extra Gebühr zahlen, 30 Pesos. Das sind umgerechnet 1,39€ also definitiv verkraftbar😂
    Nach einer kleinen Einführung und Begrüßung seitens des Bootspersonals wurden uns auch schon die ersten Erfrischungsgetränke in die Hände gedrückt. Aber keine Sorge, erstmal blieb es bei Wasser und Cola. Der Alkohol folgte zu späterer Stunde😜
    Auf dem Weg zur Insel auf der wir unser Essen bekommen sollten, gab es die Möglichkeit zu Schnorcheln. Da ich in Tulum nur in den Cenoten ein wenig auf eigene Faust getaucht bin, wollte ich die Chance diesmal wahrnehmen und machte mich mit Schwimmweste, Taucherbrille und Schnorchel bereit für das kleine Abenteuer😍
    Das Personal wies uns mehrmals daraufhin, dass wir auf ihr Zeichen sofort vom Boot springen müssten. Sollten wir uns nicht trauen und die anderen am springen hindern, wurden wir vom Schnorcheln ausgeschlossen.
    Natürlich bin ich direkt gesprungen, auch wenn ich etwas nervös war. Das Mädel vor mir hat sich allerdings nicht getraut und wurde direkt zur Seite gezogen, damit ich springen konnte🤭
    Es war eine super coole Erfahrung zu Schnorcheln und jetzt würde ich als nächsten Schritt gerne einen Tauchschein machen und das Meer zu erkunden😀
    Es war zuerst etwas komisch durch den Schnorchel zu atmen, weil es sich so anfühlt als würde nicht genügend Luft durch das schmale Röhrchen kommen. Aber ich habe versucht Ruhe zu bewahren und dann war es auch gar kein Problem mehr. Ich habe ganz viele kleine bunte Fische gesehen. Vor allem super viele blaue Fische waren dort in der Bucht. Ganz viele Dories 🐟🐠 und sogar mehrere Seeigel und Muscheln habe ich gesehen. Insgesamt konnten wir eine halbe bis dreiviertel Stunde Schnorcheln, aber die Zeit verging so schnell, gefühlt wie 10 Minuten. Aber es hat sich definitiv gelohnt und auch echt Spaß gemacht.
    Anschließend sind wir auf eine Insel, deren Name ich nicht mehr weiß gefahren, um dort zu Essen. Um auf die Insel zu kommen mussten wir von unserem Boot in so kleinere Rettungsboote umsteigen, um an Land zu kommen. Das war ein wackelige Angelegenheit und auch das aussteigen aus dem Boot ins Wasser war mit meinen kurzen Beinchen eine Herausforderung🤭aber es hat alles geklappt, keiner ist über Bord gegangen.
    Das Essen war super lecker😋Nina hatte Fisch mit Gemüse und Reis und ich hatte Tortillas mit Bohnen, Fleisch, Gemüse und Reis. Aber natürlich haben wir wie meistens die Gerichte geteilt, sodass wir beide alles probieren konnten.
    Nach dem Essen hatten wir noch knapp anderthalb Stunden, um die Zeit am Strand zu verbringen. Natürlich haben wir die Zeit genutzt, um noch ins Wasser zu gehen. Anschließend haben wir uns mit dem Boot wieder zurück zum Hafen bewegt. Diesmal war der Wellengang jedoch etwas stärker, sodass Nina und mir echt übel geworden ist🤢das war etwas schade, weil wir so gar nicht die abendlichen Farben am Himmel genießen konnten😯geschweige denn Tanzen oder die Partyspiele mit machen konnten. Zum Glück wurde es zum Ende hin dann doch etwas besser, sodass wir ein bisschen tanzen konnten😄
    Es war also ein gelungener Ausflug und hat mal wieder echt viel Spaß gemacht.

    Aber seht selbst😘
    Read more

  • Day163

    Puerto Vallarta

    January 12, 2016 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    We enjoyed a day off the bikes in and around Puerto Vallarta and continued our string of coincidental encounters as we heard that Holly's old coworker Andrew and his girlfriend Aryn were enjoying a break from winter in Whitehorse and shared a drink and travel stories with them along the Malecon. The next morning Holly rode the 17 km back into Puerto Vallarta (a section she described as one of the more harrowing rides of the trip after her bus-dodging ride out to Bucerias the first day) while Karl took the bus in to pick up his fixed-up ride. Once we had Karl's bike out of the shop we put the new wheels straight to the test riding the bumpy coblestone streets (definitely not designed with cyclists in mind) to the Malecon, where we saw a circus display, and through the old town centre before we waved goodbye and rode out of town past a smattering of high-end resort hotels.Read more

  • Day306

    Putos en Puerto Vallarta

    May 31, 2018 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Puerto Vallarta was our next destination, well-known as the gay beach capital of Mexico, with LGBTIQ seaside resorts, bars and clubs. We arrived early at the Guadalajara bus terminal only to find out that the next bus to Puerto Vallarta was sold out and that the 8:20am bus was running at least an hour behind schedule. We checked the other companies and the earliest bus that we could find was leaving at 9am. In the meantime, the bus that was supposedly running late arrived and left before our 9am departure. We eventually exited Guadalajara and arrived in Puerto Vallarta around 2pm. For seven days la Playa del Muertos was our playground, as we soaked up the sunshine and slurped on our cold, alcoholic beverage on the beach.

    Our apartment was only a short distance from the beach but it seemed perched high in the hills. To get to the beach, we had to descend down a flight of stairs, then a short walk before tackling a set of stairs that were built into the side of a mountain cliff. The journey down wasn't the problem - it was getting back up that was the problem, particularly after a few drinks. The same pattern occurred each day: get up, eat, go to the beach, drink, return home, rinse and repeat the next day. To mix things up, we changed the order of these activities or added an excursion to the historical centre to stock up on supplies or a bite to eat.

    On our first day in Puerto Vallarta, we strolled along the beach, puzzled at the colour of the water. It was a colour that we had never seen before. We started to think that the name of the beach, Playa de los Muertos (Beach of the Dead) may have been named after the dark red oceans. Maybe it was just an isolated incident but the next day the colour had returned to a bluish, green colour. Beach life was relatively uneventful, except one day a shark was spotted. Ricky was the last to know about it. He tried as fast as he could to get out of the ocean, but it seemed like everything was in slow motion and the sand had turned to quicksand. All Ricky could hear in the background was the eerie music from the Jaws movies. That was the end of our day at beach and our time in Puerto Vallarta.

    Next stop: Mexico City.
    Read more

You might also know this place by the following names:

Puerto Vallarta