Selenge Aymag

Here you’ll find travel reports about Selenge Aymag. Discover travel destinations in Mongolia of travelers writing a travel blog on FindPenguins.

16 travelers at this place:

  • Day49

    Uran to Amarbayasgalant Monastry

    July 1, 2018 in Mongolia ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Wir sind wieder unterwegs. Die Fahrt über eine der wenigen gepflasterten Straßen ist eher ereignisarm. Wir fahren weiter östlich in Richtung Ulaanbaator.

    Wir machen den Abstecher „on the dirt road“ zur „Amarbayasgalant Monastery“. Es ist ein Weltkulturerbe. Abends gehen wir in ein Hotel, statt „wild camp“. Da wir in den nächsten 2 Tagen mit starken Regenfällen rechnen, ist das sicher eine weise Entscheidung. Wir sind gegen 15:00 nach einer sehr ruppigen off-road Anfahrt bei der „Amarbayasgalant Monastery“ angekommen. Die Fahrt hat sich gelohnt. Die Monastry befand sich zwar in einem sehr renovierungsbedürftigen Zustand, aber der Abstecher war trotzdem interessant.

    The “Monastery of Tranquil Felicity”, is one of the three largest Buddhist monastic centers in Mongolia. The monastery complex is located in the Iven Valley near the Selenge River, at the foot of Mount Büren-Khaan in Baruunbüren sum (district) of Selenge Province in northern Mongolia. The nearest town is Erdenet which is about 60 km to the southwest. The monastery was established and funded by order of Manchu Yongzheng Emperor (and completed under his successor the Qianlong Emperor) to serve as a final resting place for Zanabazar (1635–1723), the first Jebtsundamba Khutuktu, or spiritual head of Tibetan Buddhism for the Khalkha in Outer Mongolia and a spiritual mentor to both emperors' ancestor, the Kangxi Emperor. Tradition holds that while searching for an appropriate site to build the monastery, the exploratory group came across two young boys, Amur and Bayasqulangtu, playing on the steppe. They were inspired to build the monastery on that very spot and to name it after the two children, Amur-Bayasqulangtu. More likely, the location was chosen because it stood at the place where the lama's traveling Da Khuree (his mobile monastery and prime residence) was encamped at the moment of his death. Construction took place between 1727 and 1736 and Zanabazar's remains were transferred there in 1779. Amarbayasgalant monastery is dedicated to Zanabazar's main tutelary deity, Maitreya. Unlike Erdene Zuu Monastery, which is an ensemble of temple halls of different styles, Amarbayasgalant shows great stylistic unity. The overriding style is Chinese, with some Mongol and Tibetan influence. The monastery resembles Yongzheng's own palace Yonghegong in Beijing (converted by his son the Qianlong Emperor into a Buddhist monastery). Originally consisting of over 40 temples, the monastery was laid out in a symmetrical pattern, with the main buildings succeeding one another along a North-South axis, while the secondary buildings are laid out on parallel sides. Amarbayasgalant was one of the very few monasteries to have partly escaped destruction during the Stalinist purges of 1937, after which only the buildings of the central section remained. Many of the monks were executed by the country's Communist regime and the monastery's artifacts, including thangkas, statues, and manuscripts were looted, although some were hidden until more fortunate times. Today, only 28 temples remain. Restoration work began in 1988 with funds provided by UNESCO and private sources and some of the new statuary was commissioned in New Delhi, India.

    Editiert am 10.12.2018
    Text von Wolfgang
    Read more

  • Day29

    Border Love

    October 11, 2016 in Mongolia ⋅

    Another day, another train cabin. It is a view that we are becoming used to on our odyssey home.

    There was only one long stop this morning, where we would have the chance to get off the train, and stretch our legs. It was at Ulan Ude, and it was at something like 0615. We slept through the stop. And when we woke, the 20 carriage train that we were part of when we left Irkutsk the night before, was now a single carriage, being pulled by a rather large engine, seemingly more used to pulling 50 cargo wagons, than a single carriage of tourists.

    We shared breakfast with our Uzbek cabin mate, who had drawn the short straw, and found himself stuck on a train full off tourists, none of whom he could communicate with particularly well. He spoke Uzbek and Russian, and no one on train had a language in common with him, other than than the huffy carriage attendants.

    Without the ease of verbal communication, we were able to acertain, that our Uzbek friend was a dolphin trainer, of all things (he had many photos to prove it), and he was heading to Ulan Bataar to continue with his work. It feels quite strange that a man from a landlocked country, would travel to another landlocked country to work as a dolphin trainer, but it was all very real. He had travelled from Tashkent by plane to Irkutsk, landing at 1am, then waited until 2100 to get on the train to Ulan Bataar.

    Courtney had a long conversation with him, using a world map on her tablet, to try and explain where we were coming from, and where we were going to. We also exchanged passports to show him some more of the travelling we had done, and for him to likewise show us, where he had been.

    After breakfast, and a few hours spent chatting to others on the carriage, it was time for part one of the border crossing - leaving Russia. This process took five hours. It involved our carriage being dropped off at a switching yard, and repreatedly shunted along the a few sets of tracks, as more carriages were added to ours, and then the whole resulting train rearranged, just for good measure. When there was a break in the shunting, you could quickly jump off the carriage and make your way into the switching yard's main building, which provided very litttle, other than a toilet (16 R) and a small shop that sold dry goods, plus water.

    Courtney was left on the platform for 45 mins by herself, as the period to get on or off the train was so short, maybe 30 seconds at most. So unless you were stood ready to get on or get off, at any given moment, you were stuck where you were. There was only so much pacing up and down the platform to do, and only so much perusing of the tiny little shop that could be done. 45 minutes alone was about 40 minutes too long. Courtney was however, joined by two cattle on the platform who kept her company until she could be reunited with the train.

    The toilet situation was especailly bad, as while the train was at the yard, the on board toilets were locked. They don't vent to a septic tank under the train, but instead drop straight onto the track. At major stops, the toilets are locked to prevent human excrement building up uncontrollably. When you are stopped for hours at a time though, it can become an issue.

    As the train was being shunted around, the huffy carriage attendants were inside, furiously trying to conceal the many boxes of bananas they had on our carriage. Some people had them in there cabins, and some were piled on the floor. Before the customs inspection took place, they would be systematically concealed in underfloor compartments, ceiling compartments, and cupboards. Quite why someone would want to smuggle 100+kgs of bananas into Mongolia was beside us, which led us to think that perhaps there were other things concealed with the bananas.

    After three hours of being shunted around the switching yard, and another hour's wait on the train for Customs and Border Police to show up, it was finally time for some excitement. We were all confined to our cabins as first passport control, and then customs control took place. The Russian passport police were as humourless and abrasive as every stereotype would lead you to believe. The customs control wasn't much better, we were all asked to empty out our bags at the same time, in a tiny cabin, where there is absolutely no space to do so, and the customs control people got angry, that we couldn't do as they asked. What they asked was the equivalent of fitting 50 people into a mini.

    Six hours after arriving, it was now time to depart Russia, and head into Mongolia. Our first stop in Mongolia was short. It was to pick up a couple of soldiers, who would escort us to the passport/customs control point. And it wasn't long till we got there, during which time, the toilets were unlocked for a grand total of five minutes. Hardly sufficient to satisfy the needs of 30 something people.

    Processing through Mongolia customs was similar to that of leaving Russia. We were greeting by a man, whose first question of the cabin was "What drugs do you have? Cocaine? Heroin? Marujuana?" When the answer was none, he then gave us a big harumph, and as with the Russian customs people, demanded everyone empty their bags for him in unison. Something that is physically impossible in the space that we had available.

    Next was passport control: phase one of two. Our passports were reviewed by a border guard, and then returned to us. Then five minutes later, the same border guard came back and collected everyone's passport, to take off the train, and process. It is unconfortable when your passport is taken away from you like that. You are always more confortable when it is within sight. There was a long conversation with our Uzbek friend in Russian, and then our passports were gone for half an hour.

    When the passports came back, our Uzbek friends was taken off the train for further questioning. It seemed that he didn't have the right visa for his travel to Ulan Bataar. After another hour waiting on the tracks (this was scheduled), our Uzbek friend returned to grab his things and dismbark the train. He was being held at the border. It was hard to communicate, but it was really sad, so we gave him some chocolates, some kiwifruit, and said our goodbyes, after helping him off the train.

    And then, it was time to leave the control station, and head into the real Mongolia, behind the border control. But it was pitch black, so we have no idea what it might have looked like. We sat in the cabin of some other travellers, and drank what remained of our collective booze supplies. A bit too much beer, wine, and vodka was consumed, but a good time was had by all, as we drank to the future fortune of our now departed Uzbek friend.
    Read more

  • Day29

    Welkom in Mongolië!

    August 8, 2015 in Mongolia ⋅

    Na de stop van ruim 4 uur is alles geregeld aan de Russische kant. Via een met prikkeldraad afgezet niemandsland komen we aan bij de Mongoolse kant van de grens en dus doen we het paspoort- en douaneritueel nog een keer over. We staan weer anderhalf uur in de hitte stil. Alle overige treindelen gaan er vandoor en alleen ons treindeel blijft achter. Er komt een Mongoolse locomotief voor en Mongoolse treinstellen achter. Als alle treinstellen weer in de juiste volgorde zijn gezet kunnen we eindelijk weer rijden. De gekochte bessen blijken 70% pit te zijn. Gelukkig kan de lokale zwerver de bessen goed waarderen. Karma +1 want we worden beloond met een prachtig groen landschap met ger-tenten, paarden en een fantastische zonsondergang! :)Read more

  • Day18


    May 15, 2015 in Mongolia ⋅

    Na 4 uur wachten aan de Russische kant (grenscontrole) en nog eens 1,5 uur aan de Mongoolse kant zijn we dan eindelijk aangekomen in Mongolië! En wie staat ons daar op te wachten, Bert! We hebben een 'tourtje' geboekt bij deze Amsterdammer, hij is getrouwd met een Mongoolse vrouw, en woont al 15 jaar in Mongolië. Vandaag gaan we naar een uitkijkpunt op de grens van Rusland en Mongolië, zien we het 'heilige water' incl koeien die hier niets van aantrekken en gewoon gaan drinken. De voetstap van Chenggis Khaan en 'tuffen' we door naar Ulan Baatar, de hoofdstad van Mongolië. Omdat we op tijd aankomen en 'het verkeer meevalt' (lees: maar 1 uur in de file) 'blazen' we in 1 keer door naar Terelj National Park waar Bert woont, terwijl hij eerst nog wat bacon en varkenshaasjes (uit eigen slagerij) + zijn 2 kinderen incl vriendje en 2 NL dames die in Ulan Baatar wonen ophaalt terwijl hij al bellend en smsend al zijn Business Deals afhandeld. Dit is 'een normale dag' voor Bert :)Read more

  • Day48

    Amarbayasgalant Khiid

    August 27, 2015 in Mongolia ⋅

    We verlaten de familie van Erka weer om door de velden met bloemen en diverse bergen naar Amarbayasgalant Khiid te rijden. Het is een mond vol, maar vertaalt ongeveer naar: klooster van het goede leven. Uiteraard hebben de sovjets hier ook huis gehouden, maar net iets minder dan elders. Er is meer van bewaard gebleven. Achterin de grote tempel staan een indrukwekkende 1000 beeldjes van "long life" boeddha. Tegenwoordig zijn er weer ongeveer 50 monniken (in plaats van 2000 in 1936). We mogen bij het gebed zitten. Met de grote trommel, de grote toeters en de cimbalen klinkt dat gezang heel imposant!Read more

  • Day56

    Grenze Russland/Mongolei

    July 1, 2018 in Mongolia ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Heute steht grenzen in die Mongolei auf der Tagesordnung.

    Um 6:00 Uhr los, 11:00 Uhr Treffpunkt vor der Grenze. Dann in Kolonne zur Grenze.

    Erst die Ausreise aus Russland, 3 Std. Dann die Einreise in die Mongolei, nochmal 3 Std.

    Man muss einfach Geduld haben, viel Geduld.

  • Day56

    Sukhbaatar, Mongolei

    July 1, 2018 in Mongolia ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Nun haben wir es geschafft, wir sind in der Mongolei.

    Um 18:00 Uhr sind wir am Stellplatz angekommen. Einfache Wiese neben einem Kiefernwäldchen.

    Und es duftet hier nach Kräuter, unglaublich.
    Jetzt noch was essen und dann ins Bett, morgen geht es weiter.

  • Day61

    Mongolei - wir kommen!

    July 1, 2018 in Mongolia ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Wieder eine kurze Fahretappe, aber trotzdem mussten wir früh los, der Grenzübertritt in die Mongolei wird sehr lange dauern. Seit 6 Uhr sind wir unterwegs - gerade haben wir Russland verlassen, die mongolische Grenze liegt vor uns, und das kann Stunden dauern.

  • Day65

    Nordmongolei - Amarbayasgalant Khiid

    September 9, 2017 in Mongolia ⋅

    Tag 32

    Die ganzen 30 Tage hatten wir so Glück mit dem Regen, und heute bei unserer letzten Nacht, wo wir campen sollten hat es uns verlassen und es regnete den ganzen Tag. So durften wir ein letztes Mal in einem Ger übernachten :-)

    Aber erstmal mussten wir zum Kloster kommen. Mittags gabs neue Reifen unterwegs bei Agis kleinem Bruder, da unser Ersatzreifen ja platt war. Dort bekamen wir auch Mittagessen. Die kleine Nichte stellte sich als Neffe heraus und wir wunderten uns über die langen Haare. Hier werden den Kindern zwischen 3 und 5 Jahren das erste Mal die Haare geschnitten und das gibt dann eine grosse Feier in der Familie. Das erklärte Einiges 😉

    Die Strasse zum Kloster war eine Matschschlitterpartie und Agi stellte seine Fahrkünste unter Beweis. Das Kloster selbst wurde während Stalin Zeiten zerstört und mit Unterstützung von Apple in den 90ern wieder aufgebaut. Heute leben hier 34 Mönche.
    Read more

You might also know this place by the following names:

Selenge Aymag, Selenge

Join us:

FindPenguins for iOS FindPenguins for Android

Sign up now