Discover travel destinations of travelers writing a travel journal on FindPenguins.

3 travelers at this place

  • Day7

    Tag 2 - Ziel Kjerag - kleines Desaster

    June 19, 2017 in Norway ⋅ 🌧 11 °C

    Wir haben laange geschlafen. Alle so bis 10 Uhr. Macht ja nichts, schließlich ist Urlaub. Das Wetter ist grandios, kaum eine Wolke am Himmel.
    Der Plan sagt daß die Norweger Tomm, sein Sohn Didrik und Thomas mit einem Auto und einem Motorrad nachkommen. Das Motorrad für Didrik soll dann in Mandal bei Kristiansand gekauft werden und die Beiden folgen mit Harleys während Thomas das Service Car fährt.
    Wir lassen uns viel Zeit und fahren viele tolle kleinere Kurvenstraßen und sehen tolle Ecken. Wir fahren durch tolle Landschaften, irre Brücken, Tunnel mit ganzen Kreuzungen im Berg über mehrere Etagen und vorbei an Bohrinseln. Sehr interessant ist auch die Dorgabro mit dem ziemlich beeindruckenden Dorgefossen. Ein sehr tiefer Wasserfall mit eingeklemmten Steinen und tiefen Schluchten. Zwischenzeitlich gibt es auch mal Straßen, die ohne Teer auskommen. 5 Km Schotterweg sind also keine Seltenheit.
    Langsam geht es in die Berge. Irgendwann ist es dann mit der Essensversorgung schlechter und wir stoppen an einem Hotel zum Essen. (Sirdal Høyfjellshotel) Während Borsti's 20 Euro Pizza Riesen Gross ist, müssen wir nach den 17 Euro Fish and Chips weiter Hungern. Man gut, daß wir uns in einem Supermarkt eingedeckt haben.
    Wir halten Kontakt zu den Norwegern per Facebook. Die Fragen permanent wo wir sind und hätten uns fast eingeholt.

    Der Himmel zieht plötzlich sehr schnell zu und wir legen die Regenkombis an. Welches Glück denn es regnet kurz darauf in Strömen. Pünktlich zu der Zeit wo wir in die schönste Landschaft kommen. Bald sehen wir kaum noch etwas und schleichen über das Hochplateau und die schönsten Serpentinen der Welt. Alle sind komplett durchweicht.
    Wir erinnern uns an einen Campingplatz am Ende des Lysefjordes. Dort fragen wir nach einer Hütte und buchen Diese. Teuer, aber heute ist das egal. Alle trocknen Ihre Klamotten und wir erfahren von den Norwegern daß Tomms Motorrad nicht mehr läuft. Sie verladen es und kommen 20 Minuten nach uns an.
    Trotzdem war es eine eindrucksvolle Tour und wird unvergesslich bleiben.
    Geschafft haben wir heute nur schlappe 200 km.
    Read more

  • Day99


    July 11, 2017 in Norway ⋅ 🌧 10 °C

    We went to bed late and I was stressed Will wouldn't get enough sleep.
    He got up earlier than me because unlike yours truly he didn't pack last night. Tut tut
    We left the house around 9:15 with the maps pre loaded for our walk. We took the same route we have taken everyday to the palace and just walked a little further.
    We got to where it should be and it wasn't there ... I re read the address and it mentioned the entrance was from a different street only we couldn't see it on the map 🤔😩We walked around the building and finally found europcar hidden underneath - the word they gave us must not be a street or rather mean 'under' or something similar There was a very stressed man having troubles getting a car. I pittied him until we ran into our own issues. Our card declined even though it had $4000 on it. So we had the plan that Will would get on the wifi and transfer it to his other card.
    Only the wifi password wouldn't work.
    We both typed it in slowly several times and it said it was wrong - the worker even tried hot spotting us... eventually the worker types it in for us and it worked..... it's not like it was a hard password - it was europcar ??? Whatever it worked, woo.
    Only then the card still wouldn't even let Will transfer money off it - it just said error. Trevor Dowse T- Dogg will be getting a 4am call about system failure for sure. 😬
    We left that money on that card and transferred a separate $3000. So much moneyyyyyyy - We have to pay a really big deposit which we obviously get back if we don't crash the car 🤞🏼
    We paid for GPS and unlimited tolls which was a bit mixed but it was needed.
    We finally went to get our car only we couldn't find it hahaha it was going really well...
    Found the cat park - we have a little red Toyota Yaris.
    It took us so damn long to figure out the address of where we were going because once again they have only provided a street name and not a number or suburb which the gps needed 😩
    We ended up putting in a suburb in the general area so we would go in the right direction.
    I was so stressed for Will and pleased I wasn't driver- we drove really slowly to make sure we didn't hit anything and got use to the other side of the road.
    The gps malfunctioned and though we were in the ocean but it finally got it shit together as we saw the beautiful golden M on the horizon.
    We used the maccas wifi to find out and input the right suburb - still didn't have a number but we would get 99% of the way before that was a problem.
    On the road 😎😎 it was over a 6 hour drive.

    Ok so considering this was the most direct route it's an absolute disgrace even though it is outrageously beautiful. We never once did over 80km p/h. Our average was 60 the whole way for a 350km journey.
    It was in and out of mountains but not only that the streets weren't always wide enough to let 2 cars pass each other so we were constantly waiting for people.
    I enjoyed driving past the watch for moose signs 🙊
    For the first half of the trip a non exaggeration guess would be that we went though 17+ roundabouts. Again, this was the most direct route.. through little towns.
    They need a highway.
    So apart from that the journey was lovely.
    The trees and running streams were gorgeous. It's how i imagine America/Canada to look where the bears eat the salmon.
    I felt guilty looking cause Will couldn't or rather shouldn't.

    We went in and out of the most beautiful mountains, driving past everyone's summer homes next to lakes.
    I LOVE THE GRASS ROOFS because it's not juts some houses, it's every house.

    We stopped for our first 'stop, revive, survive' and had a quick pee break.
    Our second break was much further on and in the middle of snow scattered hills. We wanted to touch some so badly. At this break we just got out to stretch and take photos.

    There are sheep everywhere in the mountain and cars dont bother them at all - they don't move. I like how so many have bells on and so many not baby but toddler lambs :) we had to give a beep of encouragement but even then many just looked at you.

    It was friggen freezing outside.
    I want to see a bear and a moose.

    It rained for so must of the journey - the mountains were so misty.

    For about 40km we had a van on our ass which was annoying and stressful.

    It took 3 turns to find our hotel but we got there :)
    The dude at check in was rude.
    We couldn't get into our room and unfortunately we had to contact me happy agin. He came and open it for us - we felt silly but ALL European doors have been a nightmare for us.

    So since that maccas we didn't see another place to eat or shop for the whole 350km.
    So we were forced to eat at the hotel resturant. My salad was disgusting but our Oreo flavored drumsticks were amazingggg.

    We went back to our room and couldn't get in again. Will refused to ask again so we took turns trying until Will finally got it.

    I'm honestly exhausted - even though I didn't drive I was stressed the entire time and followed the roads as closely as Will.
    It's only 8 but it's time for bed - big and exciting day tomorrow!!! :D

    Oh and they serve moose fillet at the resturant 😂
    Read more

  • Day100


    July 12, 2017 in Norway ⋅ ☀️ 10 °C

    Right so I fell asleep around 8:30 - woke up at 12:30 because I was so hot, woke again at 4 and then again at 8. It was truly magically looking at the clock seeing I still had so much time left.
    I don't want to admit to Will he is right but I am probably tired because I overslept 😅
    We had planned to leave the hotel by 9 but that didn't happen lol.
    We left the room about 8:45 to go get breakfast from upstairs.
    It was buffet but average at best. We don't know how much it cost but again, no other choices.
    We left around 10.
    We had to drive about 30km to get to the there on another windy one and a half lane road.
    Stunning scenery.
    We got to the car park and it cost 200krones for the day ($30) 😒
    Will went and got the ticket and paid 40 but it came back with a timer on it - he said it was the only ticket option - We enquired and got told we bought the wrong one I went and bought a new one and it came out with the same thing on it. A different guy said the ticket I bought was correct- I said we already had a ticket so he gave me a 200krone refund.
    Went back to the car and realized actually there was a difference but we didn't want to walk all the way over again so we just left it and hoped we didn't get a fine/ would explain the situation in a kind manner. Lol
    Right so it was a 5km+ hike to the main boulder.

    THE FIRST BIT NEARLY KILLED ME. The option of turning around and quitting crossed my mind haha.

    It was so steep and never ending. We had maybe 10 breaks just on the first stretch. The air was so cold we were both just so breathless.
    My ear started hurting again so I put on Wills snow beanie.

    Honestly though the first bit was a nightmare. 1km straight up. It had chains for you to hold onto and pull yourself up with.
    We finally had a turn and going down into the most beautiful valley type area. Amazing, truly amazing.
    One guy had pitched a tent and there were some sheep around. We got lots of photos at this spot.
    And so began the second mountain. Not hill. It was a mountain.
    Their was less strenuous on the lungs but more so on the legs. It too had chains to drag my fat ass up with.
    A lot of the journey was very similar in that we climbed and discovered a new phenomenal view before continuing.
    At one point I went on a little detour down the mountain because I dropped my selfie stick timer button and it went tumbling off a rock.
    We found it though. 😬
    It was so beautiful that Will actually ASKED for a photo of himself to be taken and didn't complain once when I took them either.
    That says a lot btw.

    Yay next mountain...

    Send help, Lord.
    Dying. Death was so near.
    This but was difficult because it was just rockfaces i had to CRAWL up in my hands and feet.
    I did so many awesome and some disgusting failure snocket rockets. A lot of boogers are in my hair I think.
    The air just made my nose run like a tap.
    I kept thinking to myself it's gotta be over the next little bit, over the next one.
    I eventually got fed up and asked people on the walk back. They said we had 30 minutes to go which I didn't mind because it was now the anticipation rather than the thigh burns that were killing me.
    Their next bit was a gradual decline ( I didn't realise until we had to walk back up it on the return trip 😏)
    Easy to walk though.
    So many people have brought their dogs - 1 dog had shoes on hehehe.
    Some people brought with them their entire backpacking packs. I couldn't have done it if I'd brought mine. Crazy people.
    It started to drizzle and I prayed that the rain would hold off til we got there.
    Walk walk walk
    Death death death

    We finally found a 0.3km sign 🎉🎉🎉
    For the last part of the journey we had to walk on an ice bridge- I caught one lady who landed on her ass, stood up and nearly fell over again. Lol.
    This bit was super slippery
    It fell like it took an eternity and that we wouldn't never get there but WE MADE IT 😭😭😭😭😭😭

    There was a short queue to get on the boulder. Will was going to do it until he realized it was a 1km drop beneath it.
    I've never seen him so fearful. We couldn't even go close to the edge of the cliff.
    I obviously had no problem with it so I jumped in line.
    The girl in front of me bitched it at the last minute.
    On I got. I posed and Will took a photo.
    I like the photo too! 🤗
    And so began the journey back.
    It was fucking FREEZING. I applied paw paw to my entire face.

    Angharad, You will just have to go relook at photos because no words I say can accurately describe the environment. It was surreal actually being there. Breathtaking.

    Ok so turns out going down is just as hard just in a different way. We both have dodgy knees and oh my it was not good. Not good.
    My knee gave way several times on the journey home and I landed in my ass over 5 times.
    The rain had started turning the dirt to mud and the mud makes my shoes loose grip so I went sliding down a few mountain slopes. It hurt really.
    The rocks are sharp little buggers and my hands began to feel like they had been slit by glass.
    Oh and my ankles hurt from walking on diagonal rock faces. It wasn't going well. 😂 We also hadn't eaten since breakfast and that was over 7 hours ago so our tummies hurt.
    We got overtaken by so many people who didn't have old grandma knees but there was also a lot of people struggling with us. On the second last decent my legs were shaking uncontrollably.
    Will had one fall too.
    I landed on my knees in a pile of mud so my clothes are really dirty and my knees were cold. Lol
    We took our camel packs with us which ended up being a fantastic idea!
    I could have walked for several more kilometers on flat but the last mountain nearly destroyed me. First was up and oh my word that was hard. Coming down was what made me miserable though. It was so bad I couldn't even admire the beauty anymore I had to focus on not falling of a cliff. I eventually gave up a little bit and dirtied my pants more by sliding down rocks.
    I stacked it again and hurt my elbow. Stupid shoes.
    I was ok though and certainly not the only one falling.
    We were both close to breaking point but we got there phew.
    We drove home ate dinner at the resturant and then collapsed into bed. We both didn't move for a solid 20 mins before I had a shower. Our clothes were saturated!!! Wills jumper was completely drenched - the entire back and half the front.
    All my clothes were wet too. I didn't even realize I had been sweating.
    We looked at the go pro pictures together on the laptop. There are some good ones but honestly Wills photo takes the best.
    My phone is a piece of rubbish in comparison to both.
    Like, I prefer iPhones but they gotta improve their camera quality.
    We are now just sitting in the foyer because our room doesn't have internet. We have another hike planned for tomorrow. send help, I'm already having troubles standing. 💪🏻
    Read more

You might also know this place by the following names:


Join us:

FindPenguins for iOSFindPenguins for Android

Sign up now