Here you’ll find travel reports about Oslo. Discover travel destinations in Norway of travelers writing a travel blog on FindPenguins.

191 travelers at this place:

  • Day413


    August 13, 2017 in Norway

    Leaving the paragliders at the top of our hillside overnight spot, we filled and emptied the van at the service point in the nearby town. It was provided by a petrol station so we topped up with diesel to thank them for the free services.

    Next on our agenda came Oslo, Norway's capital city. We'd chosen to do a 'City Sunday' to make parking our 7 metre long van easier and because we hoped the streets and attractions would be less busy. Unable to park at the Sculpture Park as planned, we persevered, squeezing through streets where cars had unthinkingly parked opposite each other, leaving barely enough room for the van. Will managed to find a space on a road in the university quarter, next to a well used basketball court. It was a warm, bright and all importantly, dry day. People, many of whom looked like students, sat out on the grass and staged seating as we passed and made our way in towards the centre through a corridor of hipster bars and cafés. A couple of street performers from New York, dressed in jazzy attire, took advantage of their captive audience.

    Once the stress of parking began to subside we began to feel and appreciate the area's relaxed atmosphere. Being Sunday, there were several 'Loppis' (flee markets), a fruit and flower market and a corridor of hippy street stalls that sold a wide range of items. Bristle brushes, baby hareem pants and silver bangles were all on display alongside doughnuts and grilled paninis. We enjoyed looking around this Camden Locks of Oslo but kept our krone safely in our wallet. Around this alternative area there was some great wall art with graffitid images, scenes and sculptures on the sides of the buildings.

    Reaching the city centre we walked up the wide pedestrianised Karl Johans Gate to the inauspicious yellow brick Parliament Building. From here we had a view of the grand columns of the Royal Palace that sat within the park at the end at the street. We read that the Norwegian royal family actually live here and unlike many such residences, the public can go right up to the doors.

    Skirting round the Parliament we headed towards the large docks, from where we could see cruise ships, old Navy ships with mines and missiles on board and traditional square sailed tall ships, now used for ferrying tourists. Looking down on all this was the faded red brick fortress, a sprawling complex of relatively new buildings atop a low cliff.

    Our final destination in the capital was Oslo Opera House, an amazing building whose appearance was modelled to represent a glacier. Made of white stone and glass, it was created with an inclined roof that you could walk up on to for views. It's wide roof pavement was made up of many sloped sections, butted on to other parts that slanted at different angles. You needed to keep your eyes on where you walked lest you stumble up or down one of these joins. A couple of cuboid metal buildings protruded from the smooth lines of the roof, the Braille-like dimples on their otherwise flat chrome sides, providing a contrast to the sea of straight lines. The descent allowed us a view of the people enjoying the space below at ground level. They appeared a little like the figures in a Lowry painting and having come to Oslo on a Sunday deliberately to avoid crowds, we had the unusual feeling that the people enjoying the building around us actually went some way towards making it what it was. Inside this stunning piece of architecture was an outer area containing a café, seating and a few informatiom stalls and displays. 15m tall clear glass windows looked out upon the water in the dock and shed light on the straight and rich gold wooden slats that sat vertically and spiraled round and upwards containing the inner rooms and auditorium.

    We returned to the van via a less salubrious neighbourhood, passing by 3 men in particular that you would not want to meet down a dark alley and one woman who looked like a heroin addict heading out to score. It allowed us to see an extra dimension to a country that consistently comes at or neat the top of the scoreboard for the highest standard of living, income equality and people's levels of happiness. It reminded us that some will still seek to exploit and others will invariably fall through the cracks, however small they are.

    Overall, we really enjoyed the layed back Oslo we saw. We are sure the fine weather helped in this, as we were surrounded by people making the most of their leisure time in the sunshine. Our favourite place by far was the Opera House, accessible for all to enjoy.
    Read more

  • Day19

    Bette and I bit tired

    July 6, 2017 in Norway

    Bells are ringing again in Oslo. They chime the hour then play a tune to honour someone or other and we have lost two hours again so a bit confused. We have a gorgeous room in the hotel and the staff here are so obliging. Have to reorganise our luggage a bit before boarding the boat and we are going shoe shopping in the morning as one of my pairs of walking shoes fell apart in Iceland 🇮🇸 xx

  • Day9


    June 26, 2017 in Norway

    Having fun here in Oslo. Weather mainly clear but cool for Summer max20 degrees. Been to amazing huge sculpture park and Viking museum. Bette reckons I would look the part with a Viking helmet on and standing at the bow. What is she trying to say? Went to the painter Edward Munch museum and saw a huge collection of his work then on to the Home of the Nobel Peace prize. We had a hilarious time trying to buy train tickets. The streets are full of young people celebrating their Schoolies and lots of buskers. Walked a lot and feet holding up ok . Food is great but very expensive. Hotel in a great position and very comfortable. More adventures tomorrow love to all B&B cxxRead more

  • Day11

    Last days in Oslo

    June 28, 2017 in Norway

    Have really enjoyed exploring Oslo further . The Nobel Peace prize museum was very moving. There was a very emotive exhibition on refugees that reminded me of the stories of so many of the refugees I taught. Todd and Col would have loved the Kontiki museum we went to with the actual raft as pictured here as well as another place which covered adventures to the Arctic and Antarctic in wooden ships. Today we went to the modern art gallery which had some interesting and also bizarre pieces. We were getting very tired and sat down in two huge red chairs and watched a terrible short film that made us laugh so hard we hardly were able to get out of the chairs. Bette decided to join the school children who were dressing up and having their photos taken. The attendant said the masks were just for kids but I managed to take this photo of her in the monster mask. See if the little ones recognise her!! We saw all theses little kids on outings today. Two carers pushed 6 kids about Ned's age in these two red wooden wagons . They let the kids run around on the grass for a while then lay them all down under a tree covered each one up and they all went to sleep. They were still there when we came out of the gallery. We wondered what magic spell they had performed. We then took a ferry out on the fjord. Early to bed tonight as we are off on our Iceland adventure tomorrow. XxxxxRead more

  • Day3

    A day in oslo

    September 5, 2016 in Norway

    Our flight to Oslo in the new 787 dreamliner was nice, although we learned that Norwegian does not include food or beverages on the 7 hour international flight unless you pay extra or flag them down for a glass of water. Another standard airline fee to add to the growing list.

    Oslo itself was probably the cleanest city we've been to. It is also one of the most expensive but we had an enjoyable stay.

    Based on recommendations from friends, we walked to the Vigeland Sculpture Park filled with hundreds of nude statues. Certainly interesting, and a beautiful large park. Then we walked around the city and had some mussels and fries and Herring for dinner at a small Norwegian restaurant called Nokken. An Uber drove us home since we were tired from several miles of walking our first day.
    Read more

  • Day6

    Day 6, Oslo

    September 6 in Norway

    The last stop of the holiday today in Oslo, Norway. The weather forecast today wasn’t so good, lots of rain in fact. However, although very cloudy and slightly cooler, we did avoid any rain whilst docked. It was an early dock, we were at the berth by 7am and being the last stop we set the alarm for 6.15am. Cor blimey did we know about that !! Anyway we got up and headed for the front of the ship. Once again a nice quiet glide in. To be fair, to take full advantage of the approach we would have needed to be on deck for about 5am, needless to say we didn’t bother.

    We’ve been here twice before so didn’t really have anything planned, and the weather could have scuppered things. But as it was dry we decided on a 2hr Fjord cruise run Independently from the port. It was ok, not brilliant but ok. It was overshadowed by the fact it was Baltic, windy and 2 whole hours in the cooler breeze. We would have also seen just as much on the way out from our ship, but there you go, you live and learn.

    Due to the fact I thought I was going to die from hypothermia when we got back, we got straight back on our ship and had some lunch before getting off yet again to look around the shops. I was armed that time with a thick fleece and a jumper. It was an early sail-away so we had to be back on board for 3.30pm which thankfully cut the shopping a bit short. We decided to stand on top of the bridge for the sail-away and we were up there for about an hour before wandering to the back of the ship for a cuppa. We sailed down quite a narrow fjord out of Oslo for about an hour and a half with some very nice sites, before joining the North Sea.

    We were invited to the Captains Cocktail Party tonight, formal dress and plenty of canapés and drinks. It’s always nice and we decided to attend tonight. We got chatting to some lovely people. As the party was finishing, Eddie the Eagle was behind us, so we went and said a quick hello and got a selfie. He was a really nice bloke, very chatty and very friendly. Sharon went up to him and said “Hi, you are Eddie aren’t you?”, I just wished he’d have said “No, I’m Dave from Birmingham why?”. He didn’t, he said yes and started to chat. Next we graced the formal dining room with our presence, Sharon had snails to start and Lobster for main, Beef Wellington for me. We were lucky (in one way) whilst we were in the handbag shop (that’s the not so lucky bit, being in the handbag shop), the captain 👨‍✈️ came in had a look around and just started talking to us. Sharon asked him if he got a good discount 😂😂, he said he didn’t buy handbags. Again, a nice bloke. We told him how much we enjoyed Skagen yesterday and how welcoming they were. He told us they were very excited and thankful for our visit and that the mayor had come on board to thank him personally, it was quite nice. So we’ve had a very sociable evening.

    We were going to go out on the open deck to watch tonight’s movie, but due to heavy precipitation in the atmosphere (Its pissing down), we had a cuppa at the back of the ship and are now off to our cabin to possibly watch s movie or more likely to fall asleep 💤 .Last day on board tomorrow so will be busy, we’ve been told to prepare for some stormy waters, lovely, just how we like it.

    So until tomorrow folks.....
    Read more

  • Day15

    A day in Oslo

    July 13 in Norway

    The train trip from Stockholm went pretty well yesterday. We got in around 8 and successfully navigated the T subway system to the hostel. The hostel is very nice. The boys have a room for two and Madeline, Cheryl and I have a room for three with our own shower. We had a gourmet meal at the hostel of Ichi ban noodles which we had stocked up on in Sweden. We had been munching the whole train trip so we didn't need a big supper. It has supposedly been quite warm in Oslo this summer with temps of 29 degrees Celsius the last few weeks.Fortunately it cooled off over night and we all had wonderful sleeps. We didn't get to bed until 10:30. It was still pretty light out when we went to bed. There were people playing frisbee golf in a park beside the hostel. It really is the place of the midnight sun as it is so far north. Breakfast was included and was a wonderful spread not like the youth hostel meals I remember from my youth.

    We headed downtown on the T and visited the car rental place to make sure all was in order for our car rental tomorrow. We then took Rick Steves tour of downtown Oslo. My favorite part of the tour was the City Hall. A large Art Deco building build in the 30s. The front was covered in wood carvings of Norse mythology. Inside the central hall was covered in Art Deco murals. We wandered around a little and saw the room where they present the noble prize which has a spectacular view of the harbour. We then proceeded to walk around downtown Oslo taking in the National theatre, the parliament building which was less impressive then the city hall, the cathedral and downtown ttrain station which were all spread out principally along one street with a lot of high end shopping stores. We bought some groceries for lunch before heading off to Vigleland park on trolley 12. In 1921 an artist by the name of Gustav Vigeland made a deal with the city of Oslo that they would support him and provide a studio if he produced bronze and stone statues for the park.He produced 600 nude statues of men and women which were all gracefully arranged throughout the park. Some of the statutes dealt with the phases of life others dealt with the interaction of men and women. They were very beautiful. We spent a long time wandering around. It was a little sunny and by the time we were done viewing the sculptures we headed to a nearby outdoor swimming pool to cool off. It had a 50 metre pool and 1,3,5 and 7 metre pools. The kids were in heaven. I had hoped to make it to the National gallery to see the scream but we just ran out of time.
    Read more

  • Day1

    22.8.2016 Hafen von Oslo

    August 22, 2016 in Norway

    Nach einer kurzen Nacht ist es geschafft: Wir betreten skandinavischen Boden!
    Zuvor galt es auf der Fähre alle Decks zu erkunden, das Varieté zu besuchen, lecker à la carte zu essen, den Sonnenuntergang auf Deck zu genießen, im Irish Pub Karten zu spielen und natürlich in Daniels Geburtstag hineinzufeiern. Der letzte Alkohol, den wir nicht mit ins strenge Norwegen einführen dürfen, wurde fast erfolgreich vernichtet... 😉
    Nun fahren wir Richtung Ostsee, d.h. wir verlassen Norwegen gleich wieder und besuchen Schweden. Mal sehen, wohin uns die sechs Reifen hinterlegen...
    Read more

  • Day9

    Oslo - Kein Stress in Sicht

    August 29, 2017 in Norway

    Mit voller Blase wachten wir auf und stellten fest, dass das Klo verstopft war. Wer ist dieser mysteriöse Schurkenscheißer, der in der Nacht ein Übel verrichtet hat?
    Wer könnte es gewesen sein? Die stark behaarten Engländer oder der Business-Pole? Wir werden es wohl nie erfahren. Im Pyjama machten wir uns auf die lange Reise ins Erdgeschoß, wo es allerdings nur ein einziges Klo gab.
    So weit so gut...der Klempner eilte zur Hilfe und der Schurkenscheißer kam wieder einmal ungeschoren davon.
    Erst um halb 10 konnten wir frühstücken, denn der zuvor gedachte Vorteil von einer eigenen Küche und einem eigenen Bad stellte sich in einem 8er Zimmer schnell als Nachteil heraus.
    Spät aber doch - ganz nach unserem offiziellem Interrail-Motto "IS WURSCHT - WIR HAUM EH ZEIT" - machten wir uns erst um 11 auf den Weg.
    Entlang der Karl Johanns Gate schlenderten wir bis zum Schloss und schauten uns dieses von außen an. Da das Wetter heute nicht so optimal war, entschieden wir uns für ein Indoor-Kulturprogramm. Ein Kombiticket für das Kulturhistorische Museum und das Wikinger Museum schien uns perfekt.
    Nach dem Museum schrie Jenny: "Leute da gibt's gratis Kaffee!!" woraufhin Lisa vor Aufregung fast ein Ausstellungsstück demolierte :D
    Mit dem Bus fuhren wir zum Wikingerschiffsmuseum, welches sehr beeindruckend war.
    Da das Wetter stabil aussah, ging es mit dem Fersenferrari auf zum Vigeland Skulpturen Park. Davor noch einige Äpfel aus fremden Gärten gemopst, ging es vollgepumpt mit Vitaminen zu den Skulpturen. Der Park ist wirklich empfehlenswert, auch wenn die Skulptureren eindeutig zweideutig sind.
    Wir blödelten noch herum und stellten Figuren nach. Trotz des teilweise schlechten Wetters ein gelungener Tag in Oslo.
    Fazit: Auf den ersten Blick vielleicht nicht die schönste Stadt unseres Trips, jedoch hat auch diese ihren Charme.
    Read more

You might also know this place by the following names:


Join us:

FindPenguins for iOS FindPenguins for Android

Sign up now