Huelva - Los Colombinos 525 AnniversaryAugust 3, 2017 in Spain
525 years ago on this date (Aug 3, 1492), Cristobal Colon (Christopher Columbus) set sail from Palos de Frontera (near Huelva) with three ships: the Santa Maria, Pinta and Niña. His goal was to try and find a faster route to the far East. Instead he discovered a route to the "New World", the Americas.
We arrived just in time for the party! Los Colombinos. We went to:
• La Rabida Monestary - Columbus stayed here for two years, planning his trip
• Muelle de las Carabelas (Wharf of caravels) - life size models of the Santa Maria, Pinta and Niña.
• Las Marismas de Odiel (Marshes) - we spotted lots of flamingos and some spoonbills
• Muelle Rio Tinto - Docks used by the mining company that was founded here, that look like the Eiffel Tower on it's side in the water.
• Los Colombinos - live flamenco music and dancing, local food (chocos) and a giant fair going late into the nightRead more