Satellite
Show on map
  • There are no Barriers on the Great Reef

    February 11, 2019 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 30 °C

    We arrived into Cairns from Perth yesterday morning and checked into our new hotel. We immediately noticed the heat and humidity (in particular) were ramped up from Perth. It is definitely hot and sweaty in Cairns. This is the first time on this trip we have arrived somewhere we have previously visited before. We worked out we were last in Cairns in 2015 and unfortunately Tracy remembered a clothes shop she liked from way back then! Mother Nature is an incredible thing, turtles return to their hatching grounds after 40 years, birds can migrate halfway round the world and whales return to mating grounds year after year. In line with this thinking, amazingly Tracy remembered exactly where the bloody shop was and honed onto the shopping centre and regrettable found it was still there! Tracy confirmed it was absolutely imperative she had new dresses and bikinis for the remainder of this holiday. Amusingly, having bought half the shop’s stock we travelled this morning to take our flight out to Lizard Island to find they were enforcing the luggage weight restrictions on our 9 seater aircraft and we had to leave half our luggage behind in storage! Apparently normal people only need 25 kilos each to go on holiday! Who knew?!
    We arrived into Lizard Island this afternoon and this place looks really nice. We were told there are 35 guests and 140 members of staff on duty! This is our kind of place!
    Read more