Satellite
  • Day 31

    The Journey Home

    July 25, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    I started this journey on the 24th but finished it at 9.30pm on the 25th. I left Paulette's at 7am and had a fairly quick drive to the airport, I had a very nice taxi driver who pointed out some of the interesting things on the way. As a result of the terrorist attack at Brussels airport a couple of years ago security has been tightened. Taxis and cars have to drop off about 300 metres from the terminal. Then you have to walk along with everyone else to the terminal - as vacation time has commenced in Europe it was very crowded. I made my way up to departures and was surprised to find I was the only passenger wanting to check in at this time, so as you can imagine check-in was very fast. I then had to make my way through security - probably the easiest so far. Once through I then had to clear customs and then went to the BA lounge. I had a fair amount of time so I had some breakfast and a couple of coffees and before I knew it boarding had commenced.

    The flight was on time and uneventful, I sat next to a women who was off to Portland Oregon to attend the wedding of a friend who had fallen in love with an American guy. She said it was going to be a Quaker Wedding - so no electricity and so she was looking forward to something different.

    Arrived at Heathrow, had to clear customs, collect my luggage and take the train one stop to Terminal 5 and check-in for my flight to Melbourne via Perth. Once again check-in was quick and easy. Then I had to go through security which was an absolute dog's breakfast. It took forever and because I forgot to put a gloss stick and a small sanitiser thing I got from CSIRO my bag was pulled aside with a bunch of others as we waited to be called up and asked to open everything. I couldn't believe they had an issue with lipgloss.

    Finally got through security and then found the new QANTAS Club Lounge and Gin Bar, where I had the chance to relax and eat again! I ran into a colleague in the Lounge who was returning from 5 weeks leave in Italy and the UK. We boarded on time and agreed to meet in the Perth Lounge for a drink.

    Once on board and settled I got talking to a lovely couple from Dubbo who have just started increasing their travel as their youngest has finished University and found a job. There was a family of 5 that had been in Premium on the way over who were also returning to Melbourne. One of their kids who is about 3 was sitting behind me and was incessantly kicking my seat, I gave it a few minutes, but it just continued so I had to ask the parents to have him stop. They did and he stopped for a while but then started again, this time his Dad caught him doing it and told him to stop, which he initially did but soon started again! His Dad saw him do it again so told him he would have to move to the seat next to him. Zac did not like this suggestion and so threw an unbelievable tantrum - to the point that his parents were getting quite embarrassed and so his Mum took him up to the toilet area to read him the riot act, when she returned with him he was quiet and sat with his Dad without a whimper. About an hour later he had fallen asleep and stayed asleep for about 14 hours which was great for everyone.

    Got to Perth a little ahead of schedule, was fortunate to snag a shower as soon as I got to the club which was the best thing ever. The water was lovely and warm and it was so soft compared to Europe. After my shower and change of clothes I met Tim in the lounge for a chat and a drink and before you knew it, it was time to re-board the plan for the final leg. Premium Economy only had about 10 passengers so we were well attended to (normally there are 30). The flight home was only 2.5 hours instead of 4 which meant we landed by 8.

    The arrival hall wasn't too busy and the longest wait was for the luggage to arrive, so I had another chat with Tim. Bags arrived and I went straight through and Heidi was waiting for me and we were home just after 9.30am.

    The holiday was brilliant with some amazing memories made with Ian and Angus. I especially enjoyed catching up with family and I am glad I had an extra week to see the Pleysier and Mouchette families.
    Read more