Satellite
  • Day 12

    Day 11 10th March Rock and rolling

    March 10, 2018, South Atlantic Ocean ⋅ ❄️ 1 °C

    This morning we zodiac cruised, plowing through the crunching ice - at times it was a bumpy ride. Except for the birds, the seals and whales were not in abundance. A different story when we landed on Danco Island - inhabited by a colony of Gentoo genguins - they are so much fun - some adults were moulting, so stand in a patch of feathers until they lose them all and have a shiny new coats - chicks were shedding their down - and some chicks playing house by collecting stones for a nest - others braving the water and learning to swim for when they have to find their own food, which is krill.
    Wildlife: Humpback whales, Gentoo penguins, Crabeater seals, Terns, Kelp gulls, Snowy sheathbill, Skua
    We cruised into Wilhelmina Bay and in the afternoon we were out in our zodiac for a ride around the bay. Again we saw lots of Humpback whales - however the whales were mostly logging, and not showing their dorsal fin. The Bay was interesting with many glaciers and importantly it was protected by the winds.
    Wildlife: Humpback whales, terns, Crabeater seal
    Tonight was BBQ night, out on deck, 1degrees and snowing heavily - oh - and we had to wear a mad hat. It was lots of fun but needless to say by the time you ate your BBQ the food was cold. Ice cream was the only thing on offer for desert, and yes I had ice cream. After dinner, Baileys coffee in the lounge went down a treat.
    We anchored at Wilhelmina Bay for the night because of the protection it provided the ship.
    Read more