Satellit
Vis på kort
  • Dag 20

    Fog, wind, and rain

    6. maj 2023, Australien ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    After last nights rain, this morning started with heavy fog. The beautiful view from our campsite was completely obscured by a thick layer of white which cast an eerie atmosphere around the caravans and cars.
    As we packed and hitched up we all hoped the fog would disperse as we drove down from the top of the mountain.
    As we drive through Port Augusta it seemed our wishes were coming true as the fog began to disperse, but instead of fog a light but continuous rain started.
    A parcel for us had arrived at the Aus Post lockers in Port Augusta, something we had not used before, and sure enough when we scanned the QR code one of the lockers popped open and there was our package!
    Our convoy of two rigs then headed out of Port Augusta and headed for Whyalla. Why Whyalla you might ask? Surely it’s too much of an industrial city to be of much interest. So who better to ask about what to see there than the Whyalla Information Centre? And their answer of what was Whyalla’s top attraction - the jetty!! Yes that boring piece of engineering is supposedly Whyalla’s top tourist item; guess this says it all about Whyalla…, nevertheless the few people we met were friendly and helpful even with one of them stopping his car next to us asking if we wanted to know any information about the town.
    So we headed out of Whyalla with the planned next stop of Port Gibbon which has a number of beachfront campsites. Along the way we stopped at the very nice painted art silos at Cowell and helped please Carolina’s passion for this unusual art.
    During the trip wind picked up and buffered the vans, and by the time we reach the Port Gibbon campsites a cold wind was blowing strongly making these campsites almost inhabitable except from inside the caravans.
    So a change a plan was needed and we headed further south for Tumby Bay where we had planned to go the next day. The Tumby Bay RV Park is a free camp located next to the Golf Course and it turned out to be a nicely sheltered park which was quite busy but we still managed to get a nice camp spot that suited us very well.
    In due course we started a camp fire, prepared the dinner food, set up the tables and chairs, and were just about to sit down and enjoy a well deserved meal, when it began raining again! The sky above was virtually completely clear of cloud but the one cloud decided to unleash more rain!! Umbrellas out, dinner delayed until the rain stopped. Fortunately the rain did not last long and we were finally all able to enjoy a nice meal around the camp fire. Then just as we were thinking of going to bed the rain started again! We took the hint and headed to our respective vans. Tomorrow will be another day with hopefully better weather!!
    Læs mere