衛星
マップで表示する
  • 日23

    Oyster Country

    2023年5月9日, オーストラリア ⋅ 🌙 12 °C

    Coffin Bay is famous for its oysters. The natural oyster of the area was harvested too much by the aboriginals of the area and over time disappeared, so the Pacific Oyster common in other places in Australia was brought in and is now the oyster type farmed here.
    Coffin Bay is the first place we have ever seen an oyster vending machine!! Select the number of oysters you want, whether you want them shucked or closed, pay your money, and the are dispensed for you!! You can even select a shucking knife as an option!!
    The weather today was cloudy and some rain. Very unpredictable. This cast a dampener on the day because the lovely views we had expected could not be seen at their best with the grey water colours. We saw a family of emus who wandered around the caravan park, and we drove around town during which we saw an unusual house with all sorts of metal sculptures outside. We had thought about taking an oyster boat tour which goes out to some of the oyster beds where you don some waders, and then pick your own oysters for eating later. The boat did operate but we decided the weather today did not really suit this type of trip.
    So in oyster country what do you do if the weather is not good? Of course you eat oysters! Our oyster feast began when Mark and Sue brought some for us to share in the afternoon outside our caravan. The oysters needed to be opened so Peter and Mark did the shucking while Sue and Carolina did most of the eating! Together with some wine, the afternoon bad weather blues disappeared at the same speed as did the oysters and wine - decadent but very enjoyable!
    Having partaken of an oyster afternoon it was then decided to head to the Oyster HQ restaurant nearby. The plan has been to have some more oysters, but then we saw the seafood chowder! Amazing! So with some more wine to wash down the food we had some seafood chowder and some extra tapas for a lovely dinner. A very pleasant way to end a day in Oyster Country.
    もっと詳しく