Satellit
Vis på kort
  • Dag 24

    At Last the Sun Shines!

    10. maj 2023, Australien ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    To date our trip through the Eyre Peninsula has been met with overcast and rainy conditions. However that all changed today when at last the clouds cleared and the sun came out. And what a change this made to the sights around Coffin Bay! Suddenly the blue water opened up the views and the true beauty of Coffin Bay was revealed. Glass smooth blue water, lots of islands and peninsulas, and scenic views that extended as far as the eye could see.
    So today we started with a long walk on the Oyster Walk, a tourist walk that winds its way around the Coffin Bay town. We were restricted to how far we could walk because some of the walk went through the National Park where of course dogs are prohibited.
    We then returned to the car and took a very scenic drive into the near hinterland of Coffin Bay on some gravel and then 4WD tracks through the length of the long peninsula that runs opposite to and across the bay from the township of Coffin Bay. The 4WD track was a bit rough in places but finally took us into a small beach directly opposite the town.
    On the way back we came across a pig farm (yes it did smell very much like a pig farm!) which featured a small cafe and pork sales shop. It was unusual so we dropped in for a cappu and bought some pork to put on the BBQ sometime during the next week.
    Then we caught up with Mark & Sue again, left Chanel in the caravan, and took a drive through the National Park. Wow, what great views we saw!! Long sheer cliffs above blue water, secluded beaches, picturesque islands just off the coast, and all the time being aware that there was nothing south of our position out past the Great Australian Bight until you reached Antarctica! From time to time we came across emus, kangaroos, even rabbits. A really pleasant drive with great views!
    After a very pleasant day it was time for another dozen oysters washed down with some vino before heading to the local pub for a fish meal. Life is so tough when you are on a caravan trip….
    Coffin Bay has been a very worthwhile stopover full of lovely views and some surprises. Tomorrow we leave here to head further west on the Eyre Peninsula.
    Læs mere