Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Fist glimpse of HK

    March 7, 2009 in Hong Kong ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Ok we were starting our trip today, ever since I dream of visiting HK (and that goes back to when I lived in Peru) I wanted to visit The Peak to get a nice photo of the HK syline. Today there was a problem, it was that foggy that even the tallest buildings were hardly seen.

    Changing plans we opted for a wonder around Kowloon and why not visit some of the many shopping centres.

    Prince Edward station was just around the corner from the hotel and once there we got the famous Octopus card, quite convenient actually because it is not only accepted in trains but also buses, 7 Eleven and other shops. anyway, we avoided the crowds in the morning so the train wasn't that busy. Still there are hordes of people flocking to the trains every time one arrives every two minutes !!!! and all the stations are announced in English, Cantonese and Mandarin.

    We left at Tsim Sha Tsui station and then looked for traditional Chinese breakfast, a big disappointed with the options, every restaurant we visited offered breakfast that looked more like dinner to us, so I ended up having some coffee and bread, my wife and little one had to request a special order for boiled eggs and milk.

    After breakfast we headed to Kowloon park, a green oasis in the middle of the jungle of cement. The park is quite big and had an interesting aviary section, playground for kids and a aquatic centre. Not to be missed also an artificial(??) lagoon with plenty of flamingos around.

    Leaving the park we crossed the road via a pedestrian bridge and looking for a way down we ended up in the China Ferry terminal, great views to Kowloon station and the HK tallest building under construction The ICC tower, this tower will have great views of HK once completed.

    Finally we found out we had to get inside the Royal Pacific Tower to get to road level, from there we went to Harbour city shopping centre, well this is more like an underground city, so big it really stretches like 400m under the roads and then at the end the Ocean terminal with some cruises anchored there.

    There are plenty of shops and dining options in the centre, the prices were no different to those in Australia though so we mostly spent the time exploring the place (well Yovanna took long hours in every shoe store)

    We had a stroll on Canton road were there are more shops however the weather wasn't improving so we went back to the hotel.
    Read more