Satellite
  • Jour 128

    Day 128: Reuniting

    21 octobre 2016, Philippines ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    Time to check out and move on. Excited today because I was heading back to Manila to meet up with Shandos! My flight was at 1:50pm so I took my time over breakfast and used my laptop at the pool until it was time to depart at 11:30. Had a nice ride in a hotel van to the airport - the driver was very friendly and we had a good chat about life and so on. He was a 25 year old guy who'd finished a college degree in hospitality and worked at the hotel for 3 years. His girlfriend had just graduated from her hospitality degree as well and they were hoping to find work on a cruise ship so they could see the world for a few years before settling down and starting a family. Nice young guy.

    Although I'm very cynical these days about arriving at the airport a couple of hours before the flight is scheduled, I unfortunately found myself in a very small, very empty airport with more than 2 hours to kill. Thankfully they had decent wifi so I read the internet and killed time until my flight. Everything went smoothly and I was back in Manila by 3pm. Grabbed a Grab to the nearby Belmont Hotel where Shandos's tour was finishing, and the lobby was absolute bedlam - chock full of people I'd met a week previously, returning from their tours!

    A lovely young lady from Melbourne who was good friends with the organisers convinced the hotel that it was fine for me to check in as Shandos, so I did and settled into our room on the 9th floor. Not huge, but very modern and super convenient with things like five separate universal plug adaptors on the walls. Again I spent a few hours online, catching up on stuff that I hadn't done the previous week.

    I was keeping tabs on Shandos's flight as it wasn't due for a couple of hours, but it got delayed a few times and she didn't end up arriving until nearly 7:30pm! I had a brief chat with her group while everything got sorted out, then we had a quick dinner downstairs in the hotel restaurant. Shandos wasn't feeling well, with an upset stomach and slight cold, but otherwise she'd had a very enjoyable week travelling through Iloilo, Bacolod and Negros.

    Exhausted, we both collapsed into bed fairly early but excited about our trip to Hong Kong in the morning!
    En savoir plus