Satellite
  • Day 109

    Day 109: North to Anglesey

    June 4, 2017 in Wales ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Up and out fairly early today, after a lovely breakfast provided by our host. Managed to cut her off before a whole bunch of talking started, but we said a fond farewell and hit the road around 9:30.

    We drove north-east at first along a few back roads, then eventually emerged at the coast on the main road heading north. Our destination for today was the island of Anglesey, right in the north-western tip of Wales. Countryside was still fairly nice, as usual, though we didn't stop until we found a decent pub for lunch a couple of hours into the drive.

    Happy to report the pub was excellent, and as it was a Sunday we both tucked into Sunday roasts: beef for me and lamb for Shandos. I also had a pint of Pint of Thrones golden ale, with a Game of Thrones themed tap head - very cool!

    Back in the car where we continued north for our first stop, at Harlech Castle. There's a series of four UNESCO-listed castles up here in the tip of Wales, built in the 1280s by King Edward I of England, aka Longshanks, aka the evil English king from Braveheart. He conquered the area after one too many Welsh rebellions, and it's been occupied by the English ever since. To cement his grasp on the area, he built several enormous castles, one of which was Harlech.

    It was in a very dramatic location, on cliffs overlooking the sea about 1km distant (movement of sand dunes over the past 750 years means that the water has receded all the way from the castle walls), and a very strong looking fortress. Gigantic walls, a strong gatehouse and portcullis, four-storey tall keep, and a large central courtyard for miscellaneous buildings. Startling to think that it was completed in just six years!

    We took a bunch of photos and did the filming we needed to, before grabbing an ice-cream nearby and getting back in the car. Next stop was about 40 minutes north, a small pub on a beach at the tip of a long peninsula. You had to park and walk for about 20 minutes to reach the pub, it was so isolated.

    But since it was a warm, sunny Sunday, it didn't feel isolated! Lots of people on the beach sunbaking, swimming, and kids running around on the sand. Again very surprised to find a white sand beach here in the UK - I just assumed all of the beaches were pebbles and stones, not so!

    We had a pint at the pub enjoying the sun, then walked back the long way along the beach. Schnitzel loved running around on the sand, entertaining himself like he used to do on the beaches in Australia.

    Back to the car where we drove the last 30 minutes to our room for the next few days, in the town of Menai Bridge just across from Bangor on the Isle of Anglesey. We're staying in a large granny flat, plenty of space this time and fairly modern. Nice and comfortable. Our only problem was that since it was Sunday and it was now 6pm, all of the supermarkets were closed and we had nothing to eat!

    Not feeling like going out for dinner, I went out and did the best I could. Our microwave pasties from the petrol station were actually better than expected, once we'd crisped them up in the oven. We're here for three nights and both looking forward to exploring the area.
    Read more