Satellite
  • Day 533

    Day 534: Holasovice

    August 2, 2018 in Czech Republic ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Packed up and headed off around 9am, leaving Prague for the time being. We had a rental car booked for 10am which proved to be no issue, though when we arrived at the office and realised we needed to go to a separate office in a building a few hundred metres away, I basically ran since there was a large queue of people about to make the same discovery. And it was a good choice - while I was sorting out the car, a huge queue of people formed behind me and it likely would've taken another hour.

    But we were on the road by 10:30, in a Skoda Octavia which is basically a rebadged VW Golf. Basic equipment but it'll be fine for the next 3 weeks.

    Drove about 2 hours south to the microscopic town of Holasovice (via a McDonalds lunch stop), our last WHS in the Czech Republic. It's a town of well-preserved 19th century farm buildings all made from stone, in the distinctive South Bohemian Folk Art style. Most people are a bit sceptical of why that specific style is of "Outstanding Universal Value", and I can definitely sympathise with that point of view.

    We spent an hour or so wandering around, but it's basically just a large village green about the size of a football pitch with 100 or so farm houses around it. Not a whole lot to see, so it'll be a short video I guess!

    Drove 40 minutes south to Cesky Krumlov where we're staying for the next two nights. Met our host with no issues and settled in - another nice renovated apartment in an old Communist-era block. It's about 10 minutes walk from the old town, and will be interesting to see what it's like in summer! We came here back in 2014 at Christmas when it was snowing!
    Read more