Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Wat a day

    January 8, 2022 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    If you're bored of our wat pictures, this post is not for you! We are definitely not bored of them and we are always impressed even with the small wats. Here is a selection of the most impressive ones that we saw in and around Chiang Mai.

    We first did our own Wat walking tour in the Old city. The first wat we saw was built on the location where the three kings that built the city had their quarters. According to the Chiang Man Temple Stone Inscription, Chiang Mai was founded on Thursday, the 8th day of a waxing moon, in the 6" lunar month of the Year of the Monkey, 1296 at four in the morning. (Yes, quite precise!)

    On the second day we saw 2 Wats that are a bit out of town, on the Doi Suthep mountain. We rented a car and went through a nice mountain road to reach them. They were both nice in their own style, the first one, quite mystic in the forest and the second one very golden shiny and quite busy! We forgot that we're Saturday, both built on the sites that a holy White elephant related before he died.

    In this remote place we've also visited the royal gardens of the king's winter residence. Very nice gardens with a lot of roses, we felt a bit at home! ☺️
    Read more