Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 252

    Bogotá

    August 25, 2022 in Colombia ⋅ 🌧 16 °C

    Our final stop in Colombia and we're in the Capital, Bogotá. It was tough to leave our last peaceful place in the mountains to a big city!

    We're staying in what we think is the expat neighbourhood of Bogotá. There is a lot of nice restaurants and a lot of very chic shops. They had a whole shop for just thermomix! We found that Bogotá is a very active town, a lot of cyclists but also runners. Our hotel was next to a park and we got woken up at 6am by a group of runners that thought shouting is a good way to get motivated 😅 and then again at 7pm by a different group, and that happened 2 days out of the 3 we were there! Another peculiarity that we noticed was the amount of dog walker, again, maybe we're a bit biased by staying next to a park, but we saw a lot of them with a minimum 4 dogs each. We decided to leave the sport till when we come home and hit the museums in the old part of town instead.

    We started of course with Bolivar square. Wondered around the streets with some street sellers but a lot less than Medellín, it feels almost quiet. Then we visited the gold museum. Great museum with a lot of information around what processes were used to create gold object and also the significance of objects depending on different tribes. Second museum is the museum of our new favorite artist Botero! Everything in this museum is donated by him. Not only his art but also part of his collection, some Picasso, Bonard, Gaugin, Monet, Miró just to name a few!

    We're sad to be leaving Colombia, it's a very diverse country with a rich culture, from the Carribean beaches to the Andean Coffee plantations, we've both been happily surprised by a country that sometimes gets a lot of bad press. There is a fair bit we left unexplored and I suspect we may come back one day.
    Read more