Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 52

    Oamaru

    March 1, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Back on the road and back towards the coast. Lake Tekapo was chilly at times, usually when the sun wasn't out, and we hoped to find warmth on the coast. Well, we haven't! It is a bit sunny but as soon as the sun's in it gets cold again!

    Our first stop was to see some natural clay cliffs. They were really impressive by their height! The rain water also created all sorts of patterns on the wall, it looked like we were in an open cave. Further down the road we learnt a bit more about New Zealand's energy production by stopping at 3 hydroelectric dams in a row. These dams were quite impressive and had all sorts of records. One was the biggest earth dam in New Zealand and another one was the biggest earth and concrete dam in New Zealand... Yes we saw all that in one day!

    After this dam good day 🤭 we had to sit down and get a drink. Arrived at our destination on the coast, Oamaru, we wandered around this little town looking for a local brewery. We were surprised to find a Belgium style bar and to our surprise, this bar served local beers but in a Belgium style. We had a very good time! This town is not particularly known for its brewing but more for being the Steam punk capital of New Zealand. We were reminded of that in every corner of the city center which is very juxtaposed to the old Victorian stone buildings which line the main street. It felt like a genuine artistic town with a very good vibe.

    The other main attraction of this town is its blue penguin colony nesting near by. Along the shore there is all sorts of signs and statues to remind you of them. They only come a sore at night so we didn't actually get to see them but we did see a few more Fur Seals lounging about in the sun.
    Read more