Satelit
Tunjukkan pada peta
  • Hari 46

    Subha aluth auruddak wewa

    14 April 2023, Sri Lanka ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Today we celebrate the Sinhala and Tamil New Year! In many countries around the world, the New Year is celebrated on January 1st. However, there are different calendars around the world where the New Year is welcomed on other days.
    According to traditional astrological beliefs, the Sun passes through the twelve segments of the zodiac during the course of a year, taking one month for each constellation.
    The passage of the sun from the house of Pisces to the house of Aries marks the beginning of the new year (Aluth Avurudu). The New Year festival, called "Aluth Avurudda" in Sinhala and "Puththandu" in Tamil, is celebrated by both communities on April 13th and 14th with various rituals and customs. These are performed by each Sri Lankan at auspicious times. This creates an extremely strong sense of togetherness throughout the nation, which even I could feel.
    Food preparation is an important element of the New Year customs. Before food preparation, the New Year is celebrated by boiling milk in a new clay pot. Boiling the milk over to all sides symbolizes prosperity. After that, traditional milk rice is cooked. In addition, Sri Lankans prepare a number of sweetmeats which are served among the family. However, these are also served to visitors, given to neighbors or bringing when visiting other family members.
    At 5:05 p.m., it is time for the family dinner at the table. This ritual represents harmony and cohesion in the family. We all sit together to enjoy milk rice and light the fireplace for the New Year. Fish and "lunu miris" (prepared from chopped onions, chilies, limes and salt) are placed on the table to add flavor to the milk rice. Bananas, "kokis", "aasmee", different variations of "kewum" (oil cake), "aluwa" and "weli thalapa" are also served, just to name a few of the dishes.
    Another ritual is the giving of gifts and the symbolic exchange of money. In our household, children are given gifts of money. The money is presented in betel leaves, which replace an envelope. The elders give their blessings to the young ones for the coming year.
    After the basic rituals, Sri Lankans start visiting close relatives, friends or neighbors. We too make our way to visit the closest relatives. In doing so, it is customary to take betel leaves to worship the elders. We’re also bringing cakes and cookies, because an empty-handed visit is unacceptable at New Year. After a few friendly moments, we make our way home. Starting the New Year in such a traditional way was a real experience for me!
    Baca lagi