Satellite
Show on map
  • Day138

    Sighnaghi to "Gremi complex"

    September 28, 2018 in Georgia

    Sighnaghi – Gremi – Alaverdi – Stephantsminda (Kazbegi) (300 km)

    Kakheti, Georgia’s famous wine district, lies due east from Tbilisi in a land dotted with fine old churches and vineyard after vineyard. Sightseeing of Telavi and visit Tsinandali Park. Excursion to Gremi architectural complex of the 16th c. Visit Alaverdi Cathedral (11th c). Visit one of the wineries Khareba around to taste some of the best sorts of Georgian wines. Via beautiful Gombori pass and then we drive along the sides of the dramatic Aragvi River Valley up to the Jvari Pass (2395m) and then down into Stephantsminda( Kazbegi - 1700m). Surrounded by gigantic mountains Kazbegi is a picturesque settlement overlooked by the biggest of all - Mount Kazbek (5047m) - one of the six 5000 metre peaks of the Caucasus. According to the legend, Prometheus was chained on the mount Kazbek. Walk up to the Sameba Church beautifully situated on the hill above the hill and providing splendid views of Mt. Kazbek.

    Gestern sind wir in „Sighnaghi” in einem echten Sauwetter angekommen und haben nur wenig von dem Ort gesehen. Heute Morgen hat „Georgi”, unserer Tour Guide bis Batumi uns am Hotel abgeholt und wir fahren in Richtung Nordwesten und durchqueren eine große Weinregion auf etwa 380 müN. Wir besichtigen die „Winery Khareba“ (5 GEL). Ich buche zusätzlich das „Classic Package“ (40 GEL) for wine tasting. Dieser Zwischenstopp war eine gute Sache. Kurz vor Mittag besichtigen wir den „Gremi architectural complex“*.

    Wikipedia:
    Gremi* (Georgian: გრემი) is a 16th-century architectural monument – the royal citadel and the Church of the Archangels – in Kakheti, Georgia. The complex is what has survived from the once flourishing town of Gremi and is located southwest of the present-day village of the same name in the Kvareli district, 175 kilometers east of Tbilisi, capital of Georgia. Gremi was the capital of the Kingdom of Kakheti in the 16th and 17th centuries. Founded by Levan of Kakheti, it functioned as a lively trading town on the Silk Road and royal residence until being razed to the ground by the armies of Shah Abbas I of Persia in 1615. The town never regained its past prosperity and the kings of Kakheti transferred their capital to Telavi in the mid-17th century. There was big Armenian population. The town appears to have occupied the area of approximately 40 hectares and to have been composed of three principal parts – the Archangels’ Church complex, the royal residence and the commercial neighborhood. Systematic archaeological studies of the area guided by A. Mamulashvili and P. Zak’araia were carried out in 1939-1949 and 1963-1967, respectively. Since 2007, the monuments of Gremi have been proposed for inclusion into the UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

    Editiert am 01.05.2019
    Text von Wolfgang
    ÖFFENTLICH
    Read more