Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Back in LA

    July 15, 1992 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Pete had a big wash to do this morning. We were all down to our last clothes. Actually found a Carl's Jr for breakfast, but it must have only just opened because the girl behind the till wasn't sure what was in the order. The kids were also gobsmacked by the men constructing the play equipment outside.

    Found our way to the freeway and stopped briefly at Pismo Beach, a supposedly wonderful surfing beach but covered in fog. Drove around for ages trying to return to the freeway. Drove south along 101 and pulled off to go to Solvang, a Danish style town, very neat with windmills, bakeries and ice cream shops. Needless to say we indulged. Kept on 101 and stopped briefly to look at the wide beaches and Mediterranean style of Santa Barbara.

    Further along we turned onto Highway 1 which went via the coast. Stopped at McDonalds in Oxnard for some lunch at about 3:30 and looked for some cream for Nicole's eye. Then headed off again. The beaches a lot nicer now with decent waves but a lot of seaweed. Saw some rather large birds dive bombing for fish. Headed for Malibu for a swim.

    This couldn't be Malibu! Famous for its beaches, surfboards etc. What a tip! Run down, decrepit, dirty, no waves. How disappointing. Went for a long walk along the beach. The housing was built right up and out over the sand. The kids found a spot to dig in and Pete & I went further along where we found a bit of surf, lots of pebbles and the average age of the surfers about 40.

    By the time we got back to the car, we thought we'd better head straight for Buena Park where we checked in and then didn't want to go out again so we ate in Denny's. Sean wouldn't sleep in the other room so he joined Pete & I in ours.
    Read more