Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 481

    Day 482: Lofoten Islands

    June 11, 2018 in Norway ⋅ ☁️ 7 °C

    The main reason we'd stopped here was the proximity to somewhere we wanted to visit: the Lofoten Islands. This island chain sticking out from the mainland is one of the best drives in Norway apparently, so we decided we'd spend the day driving down, then at the end get the ferry back to the mainland (about 5 hours from where we'd camped). So off we went!

    The scenery was incredible - much the same as yesterday, with mountains, fjords, lakes, fishing villages, forests, and lots of snow, but it was a great drive. Not too many people around until the last hour or so either - I think a lot of people get the boat over from the mainland and just stay down that end.

    Again, pictures don't do it justice but we had a great time. Camped right down the tip, just near the ferry wharf where we had tickets for the 10:45 boat back to the mainland. Campsite wasn't great, since we had to camp rather than go in a cabin, and it was raining intermittently overnight and our tent isn't super waterproof. Also a huge load of Dutch people in a rally of some sort turned up at about 11pm and yelled, laughed and chatted for the next couple of hours before finally shutting up. You have to keep reminding yourself to check the time, because overnight the sun obviously doesn't give you any indication of what time it is!
    Read more