Satellite
  • Day 1

    amatos

    September 24, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    -First things first... Italian sandwich. Now over the years I have honed the fine skill of creating a Maine Italian at a Subway restaurant on the West Coast. But it just isn't the same. It kind of gets me by, but the reality is it doesn't work well at all. The onions are red at Subway, not sweet yellow, the bread isnt that compacted Amatos bread that becomes one with the cheese, the ham isn't mild enough, the tomatoes are too mild, they put on too much green pepper, you can't get kalamata olives if you want those, the pickles aren't right and the cheese isn't the same. But if you are out-of-state I still recommend it as the only alternative . You just have to work closely with your sandwich maker and be a Nazi about the no lettuce thing. Wow, I didn't realize how fresh the sandwiches actually are at Amato's. These people risk their very appendages by slicing each slice of the tomato by hand into the sandwich. It doesn't even have a chance to sit in a bowl for a few minutes like at Subway. Amato's makes pretty good Maine Italian sandwiches, however, they are a little heavy on the tomatoes as a general rule. Something that's probably remained true since 1902. My Uber driver proclaimed that Amato's has the best Italian sandwiches which is absolutely not true. There are places in Augusta Maine and even Desrosiers in Freeport that are better.

    - The photo of the Motel 6 Lobby is simply something you would never see on the west coast in a Motel 6 ... an unattended computer tablet. These are things that an average Mainer would not notice. Something that I would never have noticed before I went to the West Coast. Now, one part of me feels comfortable being amoungst fools like myself who leave our expensive stuff all over public places. Ahh.. my bretheren. But another newer part of me feels like yelling "hey! who's tablet is this you better pick it up because that thing would be so gone in Oxnard California so quickly it's not even funny". So I hope people are happy I'm not as much of an idiot anymore. And I hope certain people, who noticed I that I lost a few things to theft in California... A few years ago... realize that they still pretty may be the exact same person that perhaps they criticized me for being... sorry to say. Because you're from Maine. Hopefully I've changed in a way that I've controlled and not let the world change me but simply become a bit smarter. While I might have an image of being kind of dumb having lost a few things perhaps now I am smarter not only that I was before but maybe I'm even a resource for you . You need to be on your toes in California and be smarter than when I was when I first arrived there. Here's a story: A friend of mine brought a bag of donation clothing to a donation place in San Francisco two weeks ago. For convenience she put her iPhone in the bag so she could carry it all at once. The place was closed so she placed the bag in front of the door at the donation place and turned around and started to walk away. She had been listening to music on her Bluetooth headphones being transmitted from her iPhone. Bluetooth has a range of about 50 feet. When she realized her phone was still in the bag with the donation clothing because her headphones stopped playing she turned around to walk back to the to where she left the bag.. less than 50 feet away . Yes that's how long it took for that iPhone to disappear. True story.
    -Third photo is something I came across that was kind of funny.
    Read more