Satellite
  • Day 23

    Copenhagen, Denmark pt II

    May 25, 2016 in Denmark ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Day 22:

    Today we walked. Oh, did we walk! We also climbed. And oh, did we climb! Hold on for a long one, because here goes...

    The climbing was the first adventure of the day. After coffee, of course, we aren't suicidal. We, both being terrified of heights, decided it would be a good idea to climb to the top of Vor Frelsers Kirke (Church of Our Saviour). Its a truly beautiful church, but the spire we decided to climb up... is 90 meters tall. Terrifying. It had to be a sight watching us clutch the railing and watever finger holds we could get on the tower on the way up. We're sure the views from the top are tremendous, but that whole experience is sort of blocked from our minds at this point. After defying death, we waited in the church yard for a few minutes to hear the bells ring. The church contains the largest carillon in Northern Europe, which we're assuming means the bells that "sing" rather than a monotone chime.

    We then made our Slotsholmen, The Castle Islet. Its an awesome little island that has served as the location of the Danish government since the middle ages. The Christiansborg Palace is indescribably massive and beautiful. The other buildings were nice, as well, but its hard not to be dwarfed by the palace... This is also where the day took a strange turn. We had been told by everyone we talked to that we need to ride bikes around Copenhagen. So we rented a couple from one of the bike racks around town. After a few minutes of trying, we figure out that Danielle actually can't ride a bike... on cobblestones, on a bike that weighs 50 pounds and has an overzealous pedal assist. The bikes went back in the rack and we continued on foot a little surprised.

    Then, using our usual method of navigation, we followed a large copper spire to another beautiful church. This one was formerly St Nicholas Church, but since has become a restaurant and an art center. So we did the right thing and had a beer to cool off.

    Our next stop was Rundertårn, a 17th century observatory. We decided our height limit had already been reached, but there was an option to walk up to the top observation deck. And yes, walk the entire way. Its a sloped walkway turning its way up to the top. If you can't tell by now, we are thoroughly enjoying the old world architecture...

    Next, we sort of wandered our way into Kongens Have. Its a giant park surrounding the Rosenborg Castle. There were hundreds of people laying out, bbqing, playing lawn games, and just enjoying the sunshine. We have loved the way that these huge, beautiful royal parks are open and welcoming to the public. Imagine trying to light up a bbq and play bocce ball on the front lawn of the White House... The castle had a little moat with swans and ducks (and 11 ducklings who we tried to steal) that seems so harmless to us now, but you know it was made for business.

    After laying down in the grass for a bit, we continued our walking tour of the city. We again stumbled upon another cool church. This one was Jerusalem Kirken, which is actually a Methodist church... that seems like a confusing fact.

    After some navigational difficulties, we found our way to the Kastellet, a citadel built in the mid 1600s. Despite the fact it was used to fight our beautiful and innocent Swedes, it was amazing to see the focus on military infrastructure. Seeing the way the city was in the past, encircled by ramparts, with this giant citadel at the harbor really puts into perspective how intense the history is here.

    On a completely different note, yet just down the street... we visited The Little Mermaid. Its baffling to see tour bus after tour bus line up for thousands of people to see this small little bronze statue. Ironically, there is a giant boss of a lady statue right around the corner that should probably be getting more attention... Søfartsmonumentet. Like sailing monument, or something like that. Either way, she was awesome. Then a short walk down the road there's the Gefion Fountain, depicting a Norse goddess who turned her 4 sons into oxen and used them to plow out Zealand. So awesome!

    Then, as if we were looking for it, we walked straight to Amalienborg, the home of the Royal family. It's impossible for pictures to show how vast the plaza, for lack of a better word, bordered by the 4 palaces is. But it was large enough where the cars going through reached speeds that caused some serious concern. Lined up directly with the mounted statue of King Frederik was the genuinely awe inspiring Frederiks Kirke. From the outside, the massive dome and columns were amazing enough. But then we went inside... we honestly don't even want to post pictures, because they wouldn't do it justice. It was simply beautiful.

    A little bit shaken and a lotta bit hungry, we went to what could be described as the Bryggen of Copenhagen, Nyhavn. A boat lined canal with iconic Scandinavian buildings along the sides was the perfect spot for dinner. Smoked duck... yes please. And somehow mayonnaise is a standard dipping sauce for fries. Even more shocking, the mayo tastes awesome on fries! (Do not try this at home, homemade mayo and bestfoods don't compare) And we also found out that people don't take home their leftover food... we got given the strangest look as our server said "I don't know, let me check"...

    On the way back, we came upon the most legendary thing a city could possibly have: public trampolines. Little squares cut out of the concrete with rubber mesh on springs. Jason was too fat for it to work well, but still, incredible idea. Overshadowing that little jewel was our last experience of the day, and by far the most overdue: we witnessed the drawbridge ...drawing... or whatever. Everyone around us was annoyed, while we both put on a face like we had just seen a fork for the first time. Yes, that was a Little Mermaid reference.

    We got home after walking about 20 miles. We are exhausted. Happy, but exhausted. Crossed fingers that the crazy wind tonight doesn't bring in the rain clouds!
    Read more