Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Ruby Falls and Montgomery Reef

    April 27, 2022, Indian Ocean ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    [Day 3 - Ruby Fals, Raft Point, Bird Rock, Steep Island, Montgomery Reef]

    This morning we hopped in the tender boats and headed to Ruby Falls for another rock climbing expedition and swim in the fresh water pools.

    Enroute to the waterholes we had to navigate some challenging rock climbs and walk through some thick vegetation.

    The swim in the freshwater pool was very welcomed by the time we got there.  There was a small amount of bird life at the waterhole and we did see an abandoned nest of the Barred Honey Eater.

    Back to the boat for morning tea while the boat set sail for Doubtful Bay, Raft Island and Steep Island an area of significance for our Aboriginal ancestors.  In 1920 a small group of Aborigines were found to be inhabiting the Island, however by 1928 they had completely disappeared.  Their disappearance still remains a mystery today.

    Back on board for more food!!

    This afternoon we headed off to see Montgomery Reef 'rise' out of the ocean as the tide ebbs.  The coral on Montgomery Reef is made up of hard corals that have formed in a 'terrace' like arrangement so that as the tide rolls out, the reef rises, water rushes down the terraces and glistens in the sunlight.

    The reef is also home to many turtles who would pop their heads out of the water briefly and then quickly submerge themselves again. The Aboriginals that inhabitated Steep Island would hunt for turtles on the Reef, so the turtles have learnt to treat everyone and everything as a predator, hence why they pop up briefly and disappear from sight in seconds.

    I went out with fishing group, but the fish weren't playing the game, so we all got to 'hold the rod' rather than 'fish'. 

    We'd almost given up when someone yelled 'fish on'. Finally someone had caught something...alas it was a bloody shark!!!
    Read more