Satellite
  • Day 11

    Hurricane Número Uno

    October 6, 2020 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    We find out on our second day in PDC that Hurricane Delta will be arriving the next day. 😨

    When we first heard about the hurricane it was only at category 2, so because we’ve already booked our accommodations, we decide that we’re going to hunker down and stay in PDC rather than try and take a last minute bus out of the city. As the day goes on the severity prediction crept up to category 4.

    We see tons of people boarding up the windows to their shops and houses, people are going on big grocery shops buying food, candles, and water, and stores stop selling alcohol (they aren’t allowed to sell alcohol during times of disaster, or on Sundays after 5pm).

    Auryn and I go to Walmart and stock up on a ton of food and we fill up sinks and all the bottles we have with water. Thankfully, we already have candles and a lighter from the storm in Tulum. We moved our bed away from the window. And we texted our families to tell them where we were and what was happening.

    The city becomes empty and quiet asides from the sound of the wind and the flashing lights from the odd police truck patrolling the streets.

    We hunker down in bed for a loud and scary night.

    In the last two videos you can see and hear the rain pouring into the apartment complex in the stairwell, as well as the bangs from things flying off buildings outside.

    Cost Breakdown (Approximate):
    Groceries = 288 pesos
    Accommodation for 1 night (average) = $23 USD
    Read more