Satellite
  • Day 42

    Beaches in South East England

    September 30, 2017 in England ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    A relaxed start to the day, decided to meander along the coastline to Whitstable, Recluver, and Margate enjoying the sun and beaches. Loved the beach huts at Whitstable, it was so quiet on the beach front, and you didn't have to pay for parking. We also dropped into Whitstable Castle which was a private residence for the Pearson family in the late 1790’s. I love the black flint stone in the castle tower.
    We went on to Recluver to visit the ruins of the Roman Fort of Regulbium that was occupied around 200AD. St Mary's Church was built within the Fort around the 7th Century. Only the western towers remain, which are a landmark for the shipping channel. It was a little disconcerting climbing up the steps within the towers when you see the mortar holding it together is just a sandy mix and a lot of the mix has eroded away.
    Margate is a larger coastal town, we parked on the pier hoping to have fish and chips for lunch. As we walked along the pier looking for lunch we both clamped our fingers over our noses. It was low tide and the smell coming from the low tide mark was a smell of acrid ammonia, like someone was being covered in perming solution, it was hard to get the smell out of your nose. Supposedly it is from the seaweed. We did manage to have a nice lunch in The Hoy Pub away from the awful smell.
    Read more