Satellite
  • Day 12

    Cardiff to Bath and Cornwall

    May 28, 2019 in England ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Day 7
    Well as usual we set of early from Cardiff for our drive to Bath. It’s about 320km
    Bath is the largest city in the ceremonial county of Somerset, England, it is well known for its Roman-built baths. Bath is in the valley of the River Avon, 97 miles west of London and 11 miles south-east of Bristol. The weather was kind today with only intermittent showers. Bath has expanded immensely since I was here in 2012. I throughly enjoyed some free time from our group as we had 2 1/2 hours free time to roam around. The Georgian architecture is stunning. It was lovely to walk around 15th century Abbey Church to soak in some history.
    After leaving Bath we headed to Glastonbury. Glastonbury is a town in southwest England. It's known for its ancient and medieval sites, many rich in myth. Glastonbury Tor is a tower-topped hill linked to Arthurian legend, overlooking the marshy Somerset Levels. Once said to be King Arthur’s burial place, Glastonbury Abbey is a ruined monastery dating to the 7th century.
    Glastonbury has few chain stores; instead there are many independent shops with colourful fronts giving the impression that little has changed since yesteryear, until you look closer at the displays – healing crystals, wands and cauldrons, incense, tarot cards, and accessories “for the discerning witch”. It’s is quiet the alternative town.
    After leaving Bath we arrived at destination for the next two days, Cornwall. We are staying at the St Mellion International Golf Resort. It’s a peaceful change from city hotels overlooking the lovely green golf course dotted with little bunnies.
    We are off to Cornwall tonight to a quintessential English country pub dinner.. yummy.
    Read more