Satellite
  • Day 8

    Northward Bound

    June 14, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    It was time to start heading home as we have a long drive ahead of us. We made a short stop at my favourite bargain-finding store, Ross. Hard to believe but this was the only shopping that we did and we purchased very little. We took a longer route northwest in order to go to Timberline Lodge in Mount Hood National Park. The Lodge is a National Historic Landmark and was part of a Federal Art Project in the 1930’s. Built during the Great Depression, it provided jobs for local artisans. The exterior of the hotel was used in the Steven King movie, The Shining. We were impressed.

    From here we continued north to Hood River that is a port along the Columbia River. It is also called the windsurfing capital of the world due to strong wind gusts and river currents. Along our route was an area known as the Fruit Loop with orchards and fruit stands. Unfortunately we were too late for apple blossoms and too early for fruit. We did a short walk along the waterfront park while waiting for a table at a nearby restaurant. After dinner we headed to The Dalles for the night, just another 35 km. We mistakenly took an exit that took us off the interstate and along a scenic route where the road was so curvy that the speed limit was only 50 kmh. As a result, we didn’t arrive at our hotel until nightfall!
    Read more