Satellite
  • Day 106

    Wherever I may roam

    April 1, 2020 in Tanzania ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    From lake Jipe I move west. My instinct calls for the savannah. Today's destination? Unclear. I just don't know! What should I make any decision for? I cannot cross any border nor do I have any certain plan for flying out to Germany. Actually, I don't even really care right now. The flights have ugly connections and/or are way too expensive. Here it's Paradise, there it's third world war (which China already won ;-). I wait for more details from the foreign office.

    So, in-between I try to find the true peace for my soul. Climbing Kili? Next time maybe. It results in pure stress with those guided tourist-bullshit-tours. In this country you are not allowed to do anything on your own! They catch you in every corner and want to squeeze money out of you. Even for shitting in the thorny bush you are obliged to pay a guide! They say, climbing Kili is 500-1000 USD and you have to pay a dude to carry your stuff. And what if I didn't want anybody to carry my dirty equipment??

    During these days I discover an improved way of travelling. Having even less of a plan than normally gives me more time for coffee stops, even time for decoration with carrot-pineapple cake (at Union Cafe in Moshi). It results in just 100-130 km per day instead of 200-400. And I tell you, 300 km here in the "wild" is already stress, rushing hectic with 12 h driving when having merely 13 h of daylight. Moshi is friendlier than expected but my car is being guarded by a friendly dude with a pump-action shotgun! I have to leave civilization. Fast!

    Anyway, this Kilimanjaro is a lie. Not to be seen anywhere. Thanks to OpenStreetMap I find some veeeery narrow, tiny, little paths through pretty farmland leading southwest around the hiding Kili. A meditational drive which gets even prettier once I enter the open pastures northeast of Mt. Meru. It's a hard cultural cut, now being dominated primarily by herding Masai whereas the region southwest of Kili was by "some mixed type of farmers" (sorry, don’t know all the different tribes with their habits yet). Today’s whole drive I unnoticedly climb around 1000 m and end up on 1500 m in the Mkuru eco camp, led by the local Masai community. The wonderful afternoon sunlight keeps me from progressing. I spend more time on top of my roof rack than behind the wheel. Finally some fresh air up here!
    Read more