Satellite
  • Day 32

    Cleeve Abbey

    September 1, 2018 in England ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Literally 150 yds from where we were staying was one of the best intact examples of monastic buildings in England.

    Founed in 1198 with 12 Cistercian monks it was always a tier 2 Abbey and just plugged along for 350 years.
    The official name of the abbey was Vallis Florida, (Latin: 'Flowering Valley') but throughout its history it was generally known as Cleeve after the nearby village. Isn’t it always the same.
    In addition to various landholdings with produced rent they held the Right of Wreck, which meant they could claim shipwrecks washed up on the shore of their lands. What a bonus.

    Eventually got the chop with the Dissolution and the church was pulled down with the rest of the buildings used as a farm for 400 years or so. This actually saved it in many ways. Eventually our friends from Dunster Castle gave it to the state in lieu of death duties in 1951 and English Heritage ended up with it in 1988.

    Unusual for English Heritage as there are roves and rooms and something to walk through.

    We had the place to ourselves. The British are not early starters we have decided, especially on a Staurday.
    Read more