Satellite
  • Day 5

    A Day in Bath

    June 24, 2018 in England ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    Yesterday we set out for a day in Bath or Bath Spa as the Brit Rail calls it. It was the final day of Ascot races so Anita drove to Martins Heron. Some of the names for these places are hard to understand. However, the train took us from Martins Heron to Reading where we got our Rail Cards stamped. Then caught the train to Bath Spa. Train was impressive as it was 99% full, passed other trains in places and got up to probably 120 kph. And was a very smooth ride.
    First place we visited was the Roman Baths which is a World Heritage attraction. Stood in the queue outside for 15 minutes, then the inside queue for roughly the same time. There were about 25% more people inside than I remember last time. However the size and complexity of it made it well worthwhile for a second visit. Took some photos on the tablet. However found the camera much easier in the bright sunlight.
    After lunch went on two bus tours of Bath. First one included The Cresent and The Circle. The use of local stone in the buildings is very evident, and the age of many buildings is demonstrated by the huge number of chimney pots.
    At Ascot everyone was home for dinner including Paul, Anna and Matilda. Matilda had come home from a Biology camp in Wales.
    Read more