Satellite
  • Day 8

    At Windermere

    June 27, 2018 in England ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Yesterday was spent travelling from Ascot to Windermere. There were train changes at Reading, Manchester, and Preston . Then at Oxenholme the train was replaced by a bus to Windermere. The train service is very efficient.
    In Windermere we met Beryl and Keith. Beryl and I have a connection through both being descendents of the Higginbottom family. It is four years since Beryl and Keith drove from Canberra to Benalla to meet us, so there was lots to catch up on.
    As soon as we left the rail station at Oxenholme it became apparent that there was an abundance of stone in this area. There are many dry stone fences all impeccably built. But what is more impressive is that the buildings are also built using these stones. Unfortunately I did not take the tablet to dinner last night so photos of these buildings will have to come with the next installment.
    Included here is a church at Sonning built of flint which is prevalent there. Anita said this is the church Theresa May attends. Also a photo from the hotel window at Windermere. Next the boat house at Blue Coat and a tub of flowers near the loch at Sonning.
    Read more