Satellite
  • Day 6

    Somewhere Over the Rainbow

    August 1, 2018 in England ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    What can I say? Yesterday was a perfect day. The weather was warm and sunny as we set off to Coventry. What can I say about Coventry? It held no strong feelings for me either good or bad. It was not a city I felt enfolded me. Australia is my home and I appreciate it more than ever since visiting my home town. But saying that yesterday we saw the best of Coventry. Tabby,Ritchie, Tania, Ollie, Audrey and I went of a mystery tour of the city. We downloaded a package off the internet for the Coventry tour and off we went. We had a brilliant two hours looking for clues and solving riddles before ending up at the cathedral to crack the code. Tabby,s team won by default and we had lots of laughs on the way. Ollie and Audrey were starting to flag with all the walking so we stopped for lunch at Joes pub The Artisan for lunch. We had a snack lunch as we are going for out for curry tonight so need to save ourselves. Returning home I went to catch up on my iPad and the kids and Tabby painted with Tania,Sam, Ritchie and Jarrod. We are going to a Ghostly tree park this afternoon to hide the rocks.

    Coventry was devastated in WWII by German bomber planes,our beloved cathedral took a direct hit on 19/11/1940 at 8pm in the evening. The home guard worked valiantly to try to put the fires out but further bombing made it impossible to keep fighting the fire and the cathedral was mostly destroyed. Miraculously the wooden cross which was the centrepiece of the main alter. After the war the area was made into a sanctuary for tourists and a huge walkway and benches were erected for people to sit quietly and contemplate. Plus artists are often seen drawing the beautiful structure that remains like a ghostly reminder of its turbulent history. The area in front of the alter has a quiet eerie feel about it. The tour took us to Spon End,the Precinct,The Cathedral walks and the main shopping area. While Tabby went to buy an English chip for her phone and Tania went to collect her mums contact lenses I took the kids the kids on the roundabout which is in the main shopping centre. It cost £2 each for five minutes. Oh well we are on holiday.

    In the evening we walked to the Burnt Post for pre dinner drinks and then to the Orange Orchard Indian restaurant where we ate very spicy and tasty curries. The food was excellent. Audrey was so tired she fell asleep in her mums arms and Ritchie had to give Ollie a piggy back all the way home,as he was too tired to walk. We all went straight to bed when we got home as it was ten thirty and it had been a very full on day. Tomorrow we are off to Leamington spa. I need to get a camera and hopefully we will have a high tea at the posh tea shop in the centre. Goodnight Diary
    Read more