Satellite
  • Day 13

    Now that's a cathedral!

    October 3, 2018 in Scotland ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    To combat the effects of holiday eating I was up again this morning and straight out for a walk to explore the local environs.

    This morning's fat-fighting safari was to Pollok Country Park. Normally this is where you can view the Burrell exhibition, but that's being refurbished at the moment, so I was denied. Still, it's a lovely park and worth a visit.

    After breakfast we headed north with Jean's uncle and aunt and cousin to the city of Dunblane. Most kiwis may recognise this name because of the school massacre which occurred there in 1996. Fortunately the place is now better known as the home of Andy Murray, the sometimes successful tennis player. It is also home to a very impressive cathedral, which began life as a Catholic cathedral, but it was knicked by the Presbyterians after the reformation and has continued to be a protestant place of worship ever since. Whichever hymn sheet they're singing from it is still a beautiful and awe inspiring structure. which is over 750 years old.

    Prior to roaming the town and visiting the cathedral we had a very refined lunch at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Hydro. This very sophisticated hotel overlooks the city. Fun fact, although Dunblane is not very large it is still classified as a city because it has a cathedral. Thanks 5th form history, you saved me again.

    After a relaxed couple of hours wandering the ancient lanes of Dunblane we got back on the motorway and negotiated Glasgow traffic, which is beginning to rival Auckland's, back to home base in Glasgow.

    Tomorrow I'm hiring a car and heading North to Inverness to catch up with an old friend. Can't wait! :)
    Read more