Satellite
  • Day 11

    I'm failing at this!

    April 21, 2016 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 4 °C

    I guess I'm not doing as good as I was in Africa... Turns out, there isn't that much to write about around here!

    Last Saturday (I know I'm late), we got a ride with Jenn and her boyfriend Jeff into Saskatoon, about an hour and a half drive. Jenn is the other contract nurse working in emerg - in case you lost tract. The drive up was the same as our bus ride - flat and uneventful. But the company was nice!

    Saskatoon is this really cute town! And by that, I mean the 2 main "downtown" streets and along the river front were beautiful, with so much charm. Everything else was just typical town of wide roads with little traffic and big plain concrete buildings... The downtown had all these cute shops; we had lunch on the patio of a vegetarian café, and then walked to the waterfront. It was a gorgeous day, sun shining.

    Jack saw an add for a tattoo convention that happened to be now, so why not! Took a taxi over, and walked back the 45 minutes inside this rich fancy neighbourhood of houses along the water. In which, I found my future home! All along the river itself was what seemed to be all new art and statues or designs in the ground, all representing Saskatoon's history. Of course Jack had to play around with the statues, or jump on the ground that stated Prince Albert.

    The tattoo convention was a first for me! Rows and rows of portfolios to look through, artists to chat with, or watch them at work! I fell in with one of them but she's base in Edmonton (I think...), so maybe there's a road trip in my future! It was nice to be amongst people you know enjoy similar art. If only I had all the money in the world, I felt like telling some of them "here's a ton of money, now cancel your other appointments and let's talk sleeve!". Soon I hope, soon.

    As for our time in Prince Albert, almost too easy... Nothing to write about! No stares. No name calling. No awkward looks. Many people at work seem to be avoiding conversations revolving around Jack and I, but no comments. I find I haven't been asked the typical "how long have you been together" or "where did you meet", which is the only hint towards discomfort.

    Not even any comments on how I look. I made a joke about me looking boyish the other day and I got crickets... Lol. So again, I feel like there's discomfort in the air, but who knows! Maybe my jokes just aren't funny!

    My approach has been to just be super nice to everyone. Walking into Shoppers the other day, these two sketchy looking men were outside, and one asked for a cigarette. With a huge smile I responded that I didn't smoke. His reply - "alright, I like your hair man!" Which made me confused as to which gender he was associating to me. On my way back out of Shoppers, from the same gentleman I got "hey, Rihanna!". Lmao! There's a first!

    Small town differences - sitting on our balcony we saw a guy arrive at his friends place via 4-wheeler. We saw one of those farming golf cart kind of things crossing the highway. Special mention again for all the darn pickups on the street. A co-worker just bought a house and said "it's JUST 2 acres". According to our boss, our building is the only building with an indoor pool in PA - score! A co-worker was telling me about their regulars, or frequent flyers as we call them, and everybody sees them around town. They can tell you who's brother with who and who's mother was in last week...

    That's that folks! Not too much to rapport. Jack had herself a great day volunteering at the local SPCA and walked/played with dogs all day. She wouldn't stop talking about it and telling me all about Mia the beagle. I just finished working 2 nights and she's about to start 3 nights. Our schedules don't exactly match up, but that's ok. I'll be trying to entertain myself in the next couple days...
    Read more