Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Lumier Channel

    January 7, 2023, South Atlantic Ocean ⋅ 🌧 2 °C

    Another wake up call from Mario to start the day (though he did say that for those of us who stayed up a little bit later we could have another hour in bed).

    After a shower, another announcement got me moving as Orca's had been spotted off the boat. After quickly throwing on some clothes we ventured out onto the front deck where we were able to see the most interesting show. A pod/congregation of over 30 Orca's with 1 humpback. Whilst on deck there was lots of speculation - were the killer whales trying to take down the humpback? Sarah our resident whale expert was just as shocked having not seen this behaviour in person before.

    Once back inside the expedition guides were able to confirm that the killer whales we saw were type 2 and therefore not trying to kill the humpback. In fact, the humpback was trying to chase the killer whales away. Either way, what a show!

    We then headed to the Lumier channel, the narrowest part of our journey where the closest points are 700m apart. The blizzard is back and it is very cold and wet outside - keeping our fingers crossed that the weather clears and we can make it out later today!

    Well... Yes we did (at the very limit of wind speeds and swells that they are allowed to take us out in). It was a bumpy ride over to a small island where there were 20+ colonies of adellie penguins (most of the crews favourite type). And, for the first time we were able to catch a glimpse of the little baby penguins who were huddled under their parents trying to keep dry and warm (getting wet is one of the largest killers of baby penguins who aren't yet waterproofed). We were even lucky enough to see the change over of parents for one noisy little chick 😍

    Back on board, some of us headed to the sauna to dry off and warm up before dinner, some games and karaoke.

    Time is so confusing here as it is only dark for a couple of hours a day so once again, we stayed up a little bit later than intended...
    Read more