Satellite
  • Day 21

    Vienna Day & Night

    September 6, 2020 in Austria ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Back on the road! After the week in Bovec I had to go back to work for two weeks. Now Mariano and I are travelling through Austria and Slovakia.
    Our first stop is Vienna, starting friday. What was planned just as a short "bucket list" visit turned out to be a dip into one of the, if not the most liveable city I have ever seen. Instead of being the kind of rusty, stiff, opera-loving pensioner's paradise we associated with Vienna, it is just a really cool melting pot with a thousand things to do. For a truck load of pictures, please check out Google. We were just having way too good of a time to take many ourselves.

    For the mandatory itinerary part: the city visit started with a free walking tour, which has become a tradition for city trips. There, we made friends with two Austrians (Klaus and Clemens) that have lived in Vienna for a few years, but due to their job haven't seen a lot of it. At the end of the tour, the four of us went to a traditional Viennese coffee house, and then on to have dinner and some beers down at the Danube.
    We also met again the next day. Mariano and I took the day to take a swim in the new Danube (Neue Donau) and visit Brunnenmarkt, a street market in the 9th district with a lot of fruits, vegetables, cheese and middle eastern specialties. For instance, we tried some fabulous pita bread (literally) fresh from the oven and Arab coffee. Afterwards, we went up to the vineyards to have some wine with the guys at "Heurige" (dt.: Weinschänke) and ended up to get back to the hostel at 4 a.m.
    Not surprisingly, today started not too early. We only had a late breakfast before we go to the Freud museum (very interesting) and for some typical Viennese Sachertorte.
    Read more