Satellite
  • Day 12

    Ring of Kerry, Killarney

    May 21, 2016 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Went for a walk before breakfast - crisp but dry (for a short time)! By the time the group photo was taken after breakfast it was starting to drizzle and once on the coach the rain had started!! Batt (Bartholomew) our fill-in driver for the day, started the trip around the Ring of Kerry. This is one of the most picturesque routes in Ireland, starting in Killarney, around the Dingle Peninsula & ending in Killarney. This was a wonderful day full of beautiful scenery and some interesting sights, made all the more enjoyable by Batt's singing and jokes.
    First stop was a sheepdog demonstration. The shepherd explained the different breeds of sheep, the one with four horns was interesting! Couldn't believe it when we came across a woman who was guiding another group and, when she found out we were from Tasmania, asked if I knew someone she knew in Bream Creek, which I did. It's a very small world!
    Then we continued through some of the most beautiful countryside of the trip. The rain cleared and it made such a difference. We passed Macgillycuddy's Reeks, the highest mountains in Ireland and the rugged coastline. Next stop was the Skellig Experience on the tip of the peninsula. We watched a short film on Skellig Michael, an island about seven miles off the coast which had been inhabited by monks wanting to live in isolation over 2000 years ago. They built stone huts and 650 steps to the top, where they believed they could be closest to God. They did this with virtually no implements and the results are amazing. Some scenes from Star Wars VII were, and some of Star Wars VIII will also be, filmed here.
    Lunch at the Smuggler's Inn and then on to Moll's Gap with magnificent panoramic views of the valley, the Skellig Islands & hills. The man selling honey at Moll's Gap was also selling 'holy water' (poteen) for €5, which you had to ask for as it wasn't on display. Apparently everyone, including the Garda, know he sells it but no one bothers about it. There were a couple of other old timers up there, one playing the accordion and his dog would start howling when he stopped playing. The other one had a lamb, baby deer & fox, which were real drawcards.
    Stopped at Sneem for home made ice cream and then continued on to Killarney.
    Before we had dinner we took one of the jaunting cars ( horse-drawn carriage) through the Killarney National Park. It was so lovely and green everywhere.
    First shot is the four-horned sheep, second is Portmagee,the fishing village near the Skellig Experience, next shows the Skellig islands in the distance, next two are from Moll's Gap and the last is of the man holding the fox.
    Read more