Satellite
  • Day 44

    Dublin

    June 22, 2016 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Headed off to do a bit of shopping after breakfast then back to the hotel to check out and leave our bags while we explore a bit more.
    We decided to go to see Epic Ireland, a new museum about the migration of the Irish. It covers the Irish leaving Ireland centuries ago up until the present and only deals with Irish who have left & sometimes come back, or who have left forever. I asked why there was nothing about U2 and was told that is because they still live in Ireland. We spent over three hours there. It's only been open about six weeks but is apparently number 22 on Trip Advisor. We've seen a lot of museums in the world but this is certainly one of the best. The interactive technology used throughout is absolutely awesome. It's easy to see where the tens of millions of dollars have been spent but it makes for an outstanding experience. The owner (who used to be the CEO of Coca Cola and lived in Tasmania for some time) bought the building a few years ago for $10 million and it's now worth $40 million, but he spent about $45 million setting it up!!
    Some shots of the museum, including the exterior of the Epic Ireland chq (customs house quarters)building, an exhibit of convict uniform etc from Tasmania & Paul Keating, who has Irish ancestry. The last shot is of Ron and Aideen, the lovely staff member who we spent ages talking with. Truly an amazing experience at this museum.
    Checked in for the horror journey home, another holiday we have been lucky to have had!
    Read more