Satellite
  • Day 29

    Final Footprint

    January 13, 2020 in England ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    Our last two days in London were spent doing some quite varied things! Since we have both visited before, we didn’t need to see the obvious sights. Sunday was a slower start to the day with a lunch reservation at Rovi restaurant (one of the Ottolenghi places). It was tucked away on a quiet street in Fitzrovia but was bustling inside. The service was excellent as were the menu options (drinking vinegar a highlight!). Afterwards we walked to the British museum which was not too far away. This place was absolutely huge in terms of both the building and treasures inside. It was truly awe-inspiring to see so many ancient artefacts such as the Rosetta Stone and all the Greek vases I studied in my first year uni art history classes! In the evening we attended the All Souls Langham Place church service. It was a great experience - we found the people very welcoming and the message gave us some challenges for the year ahead. We enjoyed some takeaway Thai for dinner that night.
    Our final day was spent just outside of central London in Richmond. We had a whole day to spend before the flight and wanted to get out and enjoy a country walk. The route took us up Richmond Hill and through Richmond Park, past Ham House and along the Thames back to Richmond. We had a really good pub lunch to spend the last of our pounds.
    There was a bit more time to kill before needing to go to the airport so we stayed on the tube to St Paul’s cathedral but we only went into a smaller chapel as they’re now charging £20 to enter!
    Our journey home has been a good one. All of the trains, planes and automobiles have worked out smoothly and we were very happy with Qatar. We’re now on the train to Penrith with only a short taxi ride back home. We are looking forward to washing our clothes and cooking our own food! Oh and greeting the cats too! It will be nice to spend some quiet days at home before getting back into the routine of work.
    It has been a wonderful trip with many special memories and we are now thinking about ‘next time’!
    Read more