Satellite
  • Day 449

    Quito, Ecuador

    July 29, 2018 in Ecuador ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    We first visited Quito a decade ago on our way to the Galapagos Islands.
    The colonial architecture, grand parks, and beauty of the surrounding mountains impressed us on our first visit and on this one. We were struck by how much the city has grown since our last stay with the northern part now packed full of new high rise apartments, restaurants and high-end shopping malls.
    The apartment we rented was near Carolina Park - a huge, clean park packed with people enjoying its’ sports fields, running track, lake and open fields. It was a place we enjoyed walking and running through several times during our stay.
    Apart from visiting the old city, we were most impressed by the Guayasamin museum set in the home of the artist and packed full of his private collection of colonial and pre-columbian art and his own works. Apparently, Guayasamin gained access to the art world when Rockefeller’s plane made an unplanned stop for repairs in Quito on his way to Buenos Aires. Rockefeller went to a Guayasamin exhibit and was so impressed with his talent that he bought several paintings and invited him to NY. He went on to become Ecuador’s most famous artist, though we hadn’t heard of him before our visit, we were very impressed.
    Read more