Satellite
  • Day 601

    Mexico City

    December 28, 2018 in Mexico ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    Despite some reports of “road assaults” on tourists, we took a public bus into Mexico City’s Northern Bus Terminal and then hopped into an Uber. We’ve felt safe here and highly recommend visiting Mexico City, despite what bad stuff might be going on in some other parts of the country. The scariest thing we’ve encountered are the almost daily earthquakes. They’ve been small, but unnerving.
    We’ve been very impressed with this ginormous city packed with beautiful, old buildings, distinct neighborhoods, incredible restaurants and cafes, and – most impressively – an amazing cultural scene. Within the city we’ve visited Frida Kahlo’s Casa Azul, the Anthropology Museum, Chapultapec Park and Diego Rivera’s mural and sculpture there, the National Palace and more murals from Rivera, The Plaza of Independence, and more.
    One day we took a bus out to Teotihuacan – the impressive pyramids built starting in the first century by unknown people and eventually lived in by the Aztecs starting in the mid-fourteenth century. It’s interesting to see similarities among these great, ancient ruins. These ones reminded us of the pyramids in Egypt because of the incredible size and scale, though they’re a few thousand year’s newer.
    Read more