Satellite
  • Day 111

    109 The long Winding Roads!

    July 8, 2018 in Slovenia ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Sunday 08/07/2018 (Day 23 SZ). Alpska perla Apartments Gorenji Novaki 80, Cerkno, 5282, Slovenia

    Another day dawns another adventure awaits, today we are off to Lake Bled... how ever we are taking a suggested trip that the Hotel puts out. I picked up some brochures while at the hotel yesterday... one had ideas in what to do while here... it had 4 different car routes to take and stuff to look at. So being us we had to pick the longest but looked most interesting Route to Lake Bled... trouble is we got away later than anticipated due you guessed it sorting out photos so I had free space on my phone and the camera... this is a daily routine we try to do at night, but as we were so tired last night it had to wait until today... hence why we didn’t leave until nearly 10 am...
    So we got up the road had a cuppa at a little village and realised we had best go straight to Lake Bled on the shortest part of the plan, then head around the long part later....
    little did we realise that the whole day I man the whole day was spent either going through village after village or going up and down hairpin mountain ranges.... this country is totally unreal with its terrain... we thought Montenegro 🇲🇪 was hilly but this is unbelievable, exhilarating for John and Scary as heck for me....

    We made praise God in one piece to Lake Bled having been through so many little villages and even some flatish rural countryside where crop growing was abound.

    Arriving in Lake Bled to craziness people, cars, push bikes going here there and everywhere... trying to find a park was a mammoth effort, driving around and around trying to just find a space... for a city that had 1,000,0000 of tourists a year their car parking spaces are very poorly done..

    Anyway due to only finding a spot right at the back of the town area, it only gave us 2 hrs to have a look and you had to walk 1/2 the Lake which by the way is just beautiful...to get to anywhere worth looking at... so after walking through row boat section that said no swimming, no to about 10 different things that weren’t being adhere to anyway, especially swimming there skimpy bikini clad girls everywhere and young guys all around boxes.... babies in prams to toddlers running here and there. And a guy fishing when big signs every saying NO FISHING 🎣! Apparently they must not police there rules very much... The island in the middle with the Church of Assumption on it where you go and ring the bell 🛎 and all your wishes come true..to get there you had to get a traditional wooden boat called a Pletna and it was on another side of the Lake so a look at the Island plus take pics was all I could do... so we decided to walk...Stupid us up the darn hill to the Castle on top and the only way we thought was up 100’s or it felt like it.....Steps....... boy I hate steps and this trip is full of the horrible things....up, up, up and once there other than the view it’s just a few rooms filled with an art display... their castles over here unless abandoned are not like the ones in the UK rough ready and feel like the real thing.... anyway once there we also realised you could have driven there.... ohhhhhhh so peeved off all those steps, just think of my heart... I was in such a cranky mood poor John was coping it, so I sent him ahead... and I kept praying to calm myself down not let my anger rule... by the time I finally got to the top all sweaty and breathless I had calmed somewhat down, enough to not give the poor bloke a hell of a time.... I keep forgetting m hormone trouche and I a, sure my moods have been all over the place... seem a bit calmer when taking them regularly... travelling and medication taking aren’t a good mix, you forget to easily...

    Back down we headed another path seems there were about 10 different paths to the top... we had 15 mins to get to,our car before the ticket ran out... no free parking over here, you get a ticket everywhere you park including shops like, Spar, Plodine etc..l they usually scan it and it gets taken into account with your food bill, not sure how they work it. Or you just put it in and it lets you out... toilets cost, parking costs... tolls cost.... etc, etc.... We made it back on the dot we were going like the clappers to get down off the mountain it took about 30 mins to get up there... so then we head off to the rest of our Route planner trip... only the heavens have by now opened and the roads where narrower, winder, and scarier being wet and tight hairline one after the other... but the scenery was spectacular to say least...to be honest breathtaking... snow capped peaks, rugged mountains, pine forests, rainforests.. villages non stop..due to the rain it made it really hard to take it in very well and totally enjoy this unreal countryside... as we made our at past Lake Bovec we found a Fort..Fort Kluze built originally in the 15th century....
    By now the rain had settle.. so we could have a look, across the road we discovered a huge tunnel through the rock mountain, along another path which we didn’t have time to look at as another fort... Fort Hermann built late 1800’s ..... it was all used back in the 2nd World War..... used by Italians... even though it was built many years prior to that.... what had happened as we were nearly here, we actually passed from Slovenians to Italy back to Slovenia even seeing the Austrian border as we zipped by.... in these countries you go through many Most places or Slap places, so funny when you see it...

    So a quick look then onto another spot we cam across because cars were parked everywhere so we got out to see why and it was a massive waterfall, Boka 106m drop...as it was nearly 7pm I felt we should get back it would be late by the time we climb the mountain... so again a quick pic then off we speed on my hairpin winding, narrow roads, with me holding on for grim death... we finally got home at 9pm then I had to make dinner... so nearly 10 by the time we ate...

    A lot of Ks today... a lot of quick reaction driving for John he couldn’t look at much as he had to concern so much.... as I was t always on the sides over looking at lot of the views and hanging on taking decent shots today was hard. Plus a lot of what you wanted to take was above your head in or on the mountains.... and they were soooo biggg it as impossible to get many of the sights you were aiming for....

    Being here is a little spooky, the other Van is still here so 2 lots if guests better than just us.. what we did pass today besides 100’s of cars was 100’s of motorbikes and 100’s of pushbikes my glory they are game riding up and down these extremely steep mountains.... bad enough in a car let alone leg power... they are either into pain in a big way or they are mad... either way there sure is a lot of them.....
    Read more